Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose region 6

Moose region 6

Not sure if this has been posted but if my calculations are correct LEH authorisations for regions 6.8 and 6.4 have been reduced by 56%/88% but 6.9 reduced by .03%

Wonder if it is wolf related? should be a bounty put on wolves. The wolves are probably threatening the 4 caribou left in 6.9...............................

IMO The open season should be canned and the LEH left alone or increased.
    hunting is an excuse to get outside and fill the freezer

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose region 6

Rumour from local CO the GOS is gone when we get new regs

Moose numbers are down in my area but really not much for wolf sign either. South of Huston I can see wolves being an issue. Lots of issues beyond wolves in my opinion

I don't see the legal bull only harvest being an issue GOS or LEH. This is not what dropped the cow numbers and that is the real issue.

Wow!I hope it doesn't come to a GOS closure in Region 6 or are you refering to just those MU's Wild one?

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Wow!I hope it doesn't come to a GOS closure in Region 6 or are you refering to just those MU's Wild one?
    Southern Mu's that have the short any bull season

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Rumour from local CO the GOS is gone when we get new regs

Moose numbers are down in my area but really not much for wolf sign either. South of Huston I can see wolves being an issue. Lots of issues beyond wolves in my opinion

I don't see the legal bull only harvest being an issue GOS or LEH. This is not what dropped the cow numbers and that is the real issue.
    Once again, it sounds like it's the group of people that do not have to abide by our hunting regs that are the issue...I hope a lot of our new funding goes to their education, and FSR spur road deactivation will be a great way to keep them out of a lot of areas..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Once again, it sounds like it's the group of people that do not have to abide by our hunting regs that are the issue...I hope a lot of our new funding goes to their education, and FSR spur road deactivation will be a great way to keep them out of a lot of areas..
    Unregulated is an issue but it goes beyond one group. No lack of idiots using loopholes to poach and a crap load of stuff I am not going to type. Education could be effective if people or open to it.

Huge amount of access and increases non stop with the amount of logging. Than add in a huge network of main FSR that would never be deactivated do to recsite access and industry use. Deactivation would be a very expensive and years to impact.

Multiple issues would need to be addressed and crossing fingers that Mother Nature plays nice in the winter for a few years

THE BROADER PICTURE. If the number of moose taken has to be reduced the terms and conditions MUST apply to all three parties FNs, *GUIDES* AND RESIDENT hunters.
    If the govt cannot or won't take this approach then really are they serious about managing the wildlife??? Their approach has always been to take from the RESIDENT hunter and give to the other two parties. I have not heard of any reductions for GUIDES??? FNs that has been left as a free for all NO RULES.
    WAKE UP RESIDENT HUNTERS your looking in the wrong place. Remember you have lost more from Liberals than ever before, re-elect them again and give Thampson another chance to give the rest to the GUIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by b72471 View Post
    THE BROADER PICTURE. If the number of moose taken has to be reduced the terms and conditions MUST apply to all three parties FNs, *GUIDES* AND RESIDENT hunters.
    If the govt cannot or won't take this approach then really are they serious about managing the wildlife??? Their approach has always been to take from the RESIDENT hunter and give to the other two parties. I have not heard of any reductions for GUIDES??? FNs that has been left as a free for all NO RULES.
    WAKE UP RESIDENT HUNTERS your looking in the wrong place. Remember you have lost more from Liberals than ever before, re-elect them again and give Thampson another chance to give the rest to the GUIDES.
    At this time I see non of the parties in running as benifical to backing RHs. No matter who wins the election we face potential loss. Yes Liberals backed the GOs in the allocation but we have not seen what the NDP or Greens would do in regards to RHs. Reality of it is both the other party options show high possibility to negatively impact hunters as well. Pick your poison but in all honesty I see no party that will be truly possitve for RHs or BCs wildlife.

Lets be honest here voting any party in has possibility of negative impact on hunting. Replacing the Liberals might even be worse. Vote for who you think is best but non of the above are a 100% for RHs or hunting overall. At this time no party is going to solve a thing in my opinion

I do agree 100% all three user groups need to be addressed when it comes to wildlife issues. In my opinion this will not be achieved through any political party. This will only be accomplished if these three user groups put their greed aside and finger pointing and do what is needed for wildlife. Until all choose to work together regarding wildlife nothing will change. Reality is govt will not solve this as they continue to support 1 of the 3 above all only causeing a divide and wildlife issues are brush aside

Till the 3 user groups choose to play nice we are no more than political pawns nothing more

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted but if my calculations are correct LEH authorisations for regions 6.8 and 6.4 have been reduced by 56%/88% but 6.9 reduced by .03%

Wonder if it is wolf related? should be a bounty put on wolves. The wolves are probably threatening the 4 caribou left in 6.9...............................

IMO The open season should be canned and the LEH left alone or increased.
    Can the Open Season? Why not just shorten it? To 3 or 4 days. They've shortened it in the past. If we lose it it will never come back. And you've said more LEH, which sounds great, but they will never give us the number of LEH to harvest our AAH. We are losing a lot this year. And if my guess is right the Ministry is just using the FN's to push their own agenda...

Region 6 is bull only harvest. So ask yourself this. Are region 6 moose numbers down or Bull to Cow ratio down?
    Cutting back LEH licenced hunters will only increase Bull numbers and the Cows and Calves that have been disappearing to Wolf and FN harvest will continue to disappeare...

Quote Originally Posted by b72471 View Post
    Guides have also been reduced. In a couple areas. Not sure exactly how much though.

But if the guides were complaining about too many residents in the bush before. They're in for a surprise if we go to 100% LEH. That's if the ministry gives us the LEH numbers we will need to harvest our moose. ( which they most likely won't). In my mind, it would put more hunters out in the bush all season. Not just in the open season, where there is high pressure for 1 week but low harvest because it's post rut and hardest time of year to harvest a bull. But that's just how I see it.