Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot sights and centerfire rifles

Red Dot sights and centerfire rifles

Tried a search to no avail.
    Anyone tried a red dot on a high powered rifle. I have one on a 22 and its decent, but its a cheap one. Just wondering how they deal with recoil, no magnification and a 5 moa dot at 200 yards leaves a lot of room for error, plus no magnification on most makes it an atypical west coast option. Then there is the battery life.
    Talking to my old man and they are using them in the deer woods back home with some success, but that's usually close quarters in some thick stuff with deer on the move with dogs on their tail, so quick target acquisition is important.
    Just picked up an older BAR in 7mm thinking a red dot might be something new to try on this.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Red Dot sights and centerfire rifles

I think you will find the red dot to be much larger than 10 " at 200 yards but it will handle recoil and work fine. Had one on a slug gun with no issues for years with no movement or re-sighting required.

I have an Aimpoint Micro H1 mounted on a Tikka 7mm-08 I use for whitetail deer hunting in the "big woods". The 2 MOA dot is easily good to 150 plus meters.

I had one on my dominion grizzly compact for a couple days. Guess I didn't have it on tight enough. Didn't know what hit me. Until a few seconds later when it landed on the ground after the bounce off my head lol

We had it on another rifle for a few hundred rounds too. Seems to take a licking and keeps on ticking. Haven't used it for anything in ages though as we don't shoot much outside of hunting and we don't use I for hunting.

Played around with a laser sight on a shotgun for a bit too but it broke... any vibration and no laser.. never got around to fixing it

Quality red dots- and even some bargain brands like Holosun- will take lots of recoil and keep on working.

I view them as an upgraded form of iron sights. They are faster and easier to use than iron sights, so accuracy is usually better until you start stretching the range. Although you can add a magnifier if you want. But they are not a telescopic sight, and if you want to shoot a bit further with precision, they aren't as good as scope. For fast, accurate shooting at around 100-150 m, they are hard to beat though.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I have a aimpoint h2 2moa dot. Haven't tried it yet but it will get put on a few different rifles I own. I really want to try it on my 375hh as it saves weight and won't have to worry about a scope bite. Mounted it on it the other day and ranged atargetat 200yards. I think it will be good to that distance for myself but I will have to try
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I tried one on a Remington 750, found it made me lazy with my posture and didn't help my shooting due to my poor discipline.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I have also been considering one for use on my 45-70. The ol eyes arn't as good as they once were on irons, have just put on a skinner sight and have yet to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    I tried one on a Remington 750, found it made me lazy with my posture and didn't help my shooting due to my poor discipline.
    How did that happen? you still have to get a grip on it to see through the sight properly

I have a holographic-type on a Savage 24, it works good for 30-30 ranges
    Last edited by boxhitch; 04-28-2017 at 07:50 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I kept neglecting cheek weld, stance, and couldn't make up my mind to use one or both eyes. I use reflexives on other carbines and shotguns for non-hunting uses and it kept throwing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..