Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Election and Wildlife promises

Election and Wildlife promises

FYI - BC Naturalists press release on election promise statements by Steve Thompson and Bill Bennett is linked here:

http://www.bcnature.ca/wp-content/up...management.pdf
    - Montani semper liberi

Have Boots Will Travel

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Election and Wildlife promises

A model that will bring well needed money for wildlife enhancement and habitat protection is being criticized yet again.
    What is so ironic is the resource is headed south, there is no plan and no money, yet when a plan get's traction and money is pledged the critics come out of the woodwork.

The further irony is these groups are concerned that having Gov not at the helm due to special interest influences.
    That is exactly why Gov needs to be somewhat marginalized.....because special interests, such as those in natural resource extraction, are just that....special interest.

My perspective is I would sooner see tens of millions finally going back into wildlife vs the current next to zero investment.

All those groups that are coming out picking apart the model...well, there will be a seat for you.......and it will be at the back of the bus

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I am dumbstruck, as his arguments could not be further off base. Wouldn't a healthy and diverse landscape provide habitat for all creatures big and small? That's what I thought.....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I am dumbstruck, as his arguments could not be further off base. Wouldn't a healthy and diverse landscape provide habitat for all creatures big and small? That's what I thought.....
    Absolutely and 100% WB.
    The idiocy of some user groups and individuals never ceases to amaze me.

The internet proves this everyday.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

I would love to see how the naturalists are currently contributing directly to wildlife enhancement in BC. Are they buying licences to go "see" the wildlife, are they doing any habitat enhancement projects, either fish or wildlife.

There red are groups like the wild sheep foundation that focus on sheep, local sportsmanship associations that do projects in their areas focused on different species in their areas.

If if they want to buy "seeing" liscences to go bird watch, perhaps they can ask for their share to go towards bird habitat enhancement.

I have aver never seen the BCWF as a single species focused organization, let alone a game animal only focused organization.

I don't care about wildlife that I can't access.

If I can't hunt Island Timberlands, it can become as desolate as China for all I care. If only Status Indians can hunt, I don't want to find conservation.

So far, all I see are promises to end hunter's access and allocation. Funding conservation is irrelevant then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Regardless of their current opinions, groups like this have to be brought onside with us. Despite perceived differences we really have much more in common with each other than we have dividing us. Shane Mahoney has already made that point very effectively.

We need to tell more people our story. It's a good one.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Regardless of their current opinions, groups like this have to be brought onside with us. Despite perceived differences we really have much more in common with each other than we have dividing us. Shane Mahoney has already made that point very effectively.

We need to tell more people our story. It's a good one.
    Groups will conveniently show up once they know there is funding.
    All in all, this will only bring more attention to the lack of focus on wildlife that has been demonstrated for decades.

The story is getting out......

^^^ I think you're right. And we can certainly argue that what we've now got isn't perfect, but it's tough to argue it's not a huge step in the right direction.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Agreed.
    As I have said before, you don't start at the finish line.
    It would be sheer ignorance to think there won't be hiccups along the way.