Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LEH Bison! Pink Mountain! How I really feel!!! READ first before applying!!

Re: LEH Bison! Pink Mountain! How I really feel!!! READ first before applying!!

Was in there in 2004 when I was thirteen, shooting apples in a barrel. Brother was in there a couple years after and it was just as easy. We went again in 2015 for the third week of October and did not see a bison, hiked back into trimble and behind mount withrow and got over to Marion Lake, nothing. No one else that was in there that week got one. Old man was in there the next year in December, and his group was the only group to get a bison out of everyone that was there, the guide was having a hard time finding them and couldn't fill tags. Talked to two sheep hunters at the WSSBC convention. They were in there 2016 and didn't get any nor did anyone else they talked to. From my eyes, the numbers are not near what they used to be. I also heard that the First Nations were taking a lot out before the resident LEH season and that has pushed them over into the kneaves side and way back along the sikanni. I personally won't be putting in for it again but there I'm sure there is some animals around for those that do just have to work for it and be okay with maybe coming out empty handed.
    Last edited by clutch; 04-14-2017 at 12:07 AM.

I hunted Zone B last year. My group was lucky enough to get a shared draw. We knocked down two bulls on opening morning, and as such were able to put three other groups on their bison. We ran into a group of FN hunters while scouting the day before our draw opened who harvested two bison and left nothing but the heads. Saw several legal elk that we couldn't connect on and the same with some large bull moose that didn't give the opportunity to confirm that they were legal. A lot of homework and preparation was required for this hunt and it paid off. Lots of work. I don't know enough about current population numbers to comment but they do give away 200+ draws to resident hunters, a dozen to guide outfitters and whatever the FNs take.

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeowl View Post
    I hunted Zone B last year. My group was lucky enough to get a shared draw. We knocked down two bulls on opening morning, and as such were able to put three other groups on their bison. We ran into a group of FN hunters while scouting the day before our draw opened who harvested two bison and left nothing but the heads. Saw several legal elk that we couldn't connect on and the same with some large bull moose that didn't give the opportunity to confirm that they were legal. A lot of homework and preparation was required for this hunt and it paid off. Lots of work. I don't know enough about current population numbers to comment but they do give away 200+ draws to resident hunters, a dozen to guide outfitters and whatever the FNs take.
    We had a guy scouting for us 2 weeks before the hunt started and he didn't see a bison other than the ones on the mountain tops (10 or so). There must be a huge differance between 7-57 a and 7-57 b. In 7-57a remember in the early 2016 season only 1 calf bison was taken. Also 1 Bull moose that we know of.

It should really be an open season. Calves, Cows and Bulls

We had a guy scouting for us 2 weeks before the hunt started and he didn't see a bison other than the ones on the mountain tops
    should have paid with more beer
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    It should really be an open season. Calves, Cows and Bulls
    It was open for all last year. Did it change for 2017?

So for your information, my hunting group had 2 tags for bison in this management area and we were successful on opening morning on both bison. A friend of mine and his hunting group had 2 tags the second half of the month and they were also successful, other groups were also successful while we were there. This all occurred in the 2016 season as you put it. we saw other Bison as well as moose and elk. Furthermore Just prior to us getting there a First nations hunting group harvested 2 Bison and they took all the meat and left only the heads in the bush.
    I guess what I am trying to say is maybe do a little more preparation and planning and you too could be successful.
    The one thing I do agree with you about is the scenery is awesome and it is a beautiful place to hunt.

Terrible thread. We all want a hunt to be successful. We all hope, especially when travelling a really long distance that that sacrifice is worth it and the north is so plentiful that its like shooting fish in a barrel. I mean really, if I wanted to strike out on a hunting trip, I could just as easily do it in my own back yard right? So its a big cost, both financially and socially leaving family behind, taking time off work etc etc. We need to remember that its still hunting no matter where you wanna do it. There are a few Bison ranches just south of the boarder in washington where you can drive up, shoot a bison and take it home. 100% success rate! and much closer to home for most people to I bet. Hell I even asked the guy if I could pitch a wall tent and pretend I was hunting for a week before shooting one, he said "not a chance" which pretty much turned me off of the notion, but if its just the meat you want, there is the solution. Hunting is about the adventure, the comradary, the struggle, and hopefully success in the end. I have been up north on 5 hunting trips now...only ever bagged some white tail deer on 1 trip. The other trips were fun, disapointing and challenging, but Im not giving up. You can't normally just stroll into an unfamiliar area, hunt an unfamiliar species and expect instant gratification. Every trip I learned something, some lessons were "not to go back there" lol, but others were very educational and I can't wait to return again, even if I long for new country and it may take a few years to pull the trigger on a return trip to a spot that didn't pay off the first time. Don't expect too much, enjoy the moment and have fun out there. Cheers
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Well said Darksith.Too many people think getting an LEH means your hunt is some sort of gimme.

last time we where up there i never seen more hunters in my life then that week i wont go back