Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEH Bison! Pink Mountain! How I really feel!!! READ first before applying!!

LEH Bison! Pink Mountain! How I really feel!!! READ first before applying!!

So you want to put in for the Pink Mountain Bison hunt, do you? Join a secret extermination project that no one else in the province knows about other than the ones that have been on the hunt or those who live at Pink Mountain???
    When we first hunted Pink Mountain in 2013 (early season) we ended up with a Bison cow. There were some other guys that were successful as well, not many though, maybe 6 bison were killed in that season.The natives killed a bunch and only took the back straps (I didn't understand nor agree with this slaughter at the time).
    I was lucky enough to go a second time in 2016(early season)! Unfortunately we only spotted 8 bison at the tops of the mountains nothing else.The natives have a shoot every bison you see policy and take any meat you want or just leave it for the predators. I was appalled! As far as I know 1 LEH Bison calf was killed in this season!
    This is NOT a managed LEH of Bison! It's an extermination project of an animal that was never native to the area that is ruining habitat for the native animals.
    So how do I really feel!
    -don't put in for the leh bison (false hope and a money grab)!
    -kill the rest of the bison in pink mountain area with any means (the natives are right to do so)!
    -these bison should not be there!

Oh and if you didn't get this memo soon enough and did get a tag, be prepared to spend a full 2 weeks and $2000 bucks! As we did! Also the most dangerous roads coming back (I'm a snow driving kootenay boy for 34 years)!
    Oh you say ""we can hunt moose elk and deer well we're there for bison"! GOOD luck! When we were there we saw 1 bull moose! We were lazy though, slept in to 4:30 every morning! Hiked only until wasted deep snow 15kms per day. Quadded at least 50kms per day. Glassed everything!
    If you have 2000 bucks spare change and 16 days off work and a full freezer of meat,do the hunt. The scenery is awesome! However hunting is less than poor.
    However I did have a good time and met some great people.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH Bison! Pink Mountain! How I really feel!!! READ first before applying!!

Wow tell us how you really feel

Stay home then

I was there in Zone A October 2012. Saw two bull moose the first day. No bison until the 3rd day when I harvested mine. Must have seen over 70 bison that day. Never had one problem with the locals or guys at the ranch. They were all great.

If the declining population is true then that is very concerning. I do have to agree that they have been an invasive species especially destroying the elk habitat in the area by trampling any vegitation.

Regardless I hope others have luck on their draws and maybe someone else can shed some light on this subject?

I don't get your post, are you pissed cause there are no bison left?
    Are you pissed that there are Bison there, that shouldn't be there?
    Are you pissed or pleased that the natives are "exterminating " the bison?
    Are you pissed at the expense of the trip, that you've managed to finance not once,but twice?
    Are you pissed at their abundance or lack there of?
    I'm totally Phuken confused!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tuner View Post
    I don't get your post, are you pissed cause there are no bison left?
    Are you pissed that there are Bison there, that shouldn't be there?
    Are you pissed or pleased that the natives are "exterminating " the bison?
    Are you pissed at the expense of the trip, that you've managed to finance not once,but twice?
    Are you pissed at their abundance or lack there of?
    I'm totally Phuken confused!!!
    Hey look, we agree!

I'm curious as to how those Bison got there and how "invasive species" is defined in this case.

I would like to know how much cash the BC gov is making off this LEH?
    -It's false hope for any one who doesn't know how the hunt is handled.
    -Way different since 2012! Not as many bison. Natives shoot it up before the season.
    - 30 ish bison were trucked to Pink Mountain in the 70s and held in a corral. They broke the corral in the night and have been loose ever since.
    -I did like my time up there but if someone thinks that the hunt is a walk in the park and Bison are running around like pre 2013, think again!

The natives killed a bunch and only took the back straps
    Natives, the keeper of the land wouldn't do that. They wouldn't net salmon out of the Fraser River and throw the ones away in a ditch that are to rotten to sell. They wouldn't shoot a bunch of deer and just leave them where they fell just so the whites don't get them...
    I think about 98% of natives are great people but it only take one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel.

Is this your attempt at a ploy to get others to not put in for the draw ? Less people equals better chances for you. At $6 a draw I don't think the ministry makes any money off of this.