Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6" or 8" Boots?

6" or 8" Boots?

I know there's plenty of favourite boots out there, and I'm partial to the brand I have. Question is, 6 inch or 8 inch? I have some really great boots and I've put a ton of miles on them, so now I'm thinking of buying a new pair just to get some taller ones. Is it worth it even though I absolutely love my 6 inchers?

Also, I'm a believer that boots should require little to zero break in. The ones I have were comfy out of the box, until right now. Not a single blister ever....that's why I am reluctant to spend high dough on a new pair. Anyone ever had luck with mole Skins? They just seem to pile up in the bottom of my runners when I used them there....
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 6" or 8" Boots?

I prefer my scarpas and goretex gators not sure my scarpas even hit the 6" mark but probably about there, gives me the support i want without the stiffness i get from my 9" work boots. We used to have this second skin stuff from europe that my head geologist used to bring back that was fantastic... dont remember the exact name though... Edit: Compeed was the name of the product
    Last edited by WesHarm; 04-12-2017 at 09:48 PM.
    ~Wes

I much prefer a taller boot, comfort and support are noticeably increased for me.

Just like my wife, once you go 8 inches you will wonder how you lived with 6.

I have 5 pairs of boots currently for hunting and caulked boots for work and blacktail hunting. Every pair is a 8" trapper model. Currently running Lowa, hanwag and mendle.
    i have a bad left ankle due to injury though so I prefer the stiffness
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

All things being equal, go with what is most comfortable. I prefer a taller boot as it offers great ankle support and more clearance for walking through streams and deep mud etc.

Do you miss her?? Sorry couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    All things being equal, go with what is most comfortable. I prefer a taller boot as it offers great ankle support and more clearance for walking through streams and deep mud etc.
    I agree with ajr5406 it really depends on terrain. I hunt in mostly treed shale and mixed scree slopes at subalpine elevations and found that 8" boots provide the support and stability as well as protection when heel sliding down slopes when necessary(albeit a little heavy at times size 13). I also have a goretex lined light hiker in 6" that I use for early season and spring shed hunts in the pines at lower elevations. I also always wear gators due to the small risk of rattlers in these areas and for extra waterproofing. If you've found a boot that fits and lasts for you I would stick with it, and with a previous ankle injury I personally feel that an 8" boot in your circumstance would be a good choice.

I like my Hanwag's that are 6" and i find it enough, and don't see the need to go any taller. Maybe that will change once more challenging terrain sheep hunting happens.

Anyone have suggestions for quiet gators? I have some, but they're more for snowshoeing or CC skiing....and they're NOOOIIIIISSYYYYY.........nylon I think.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)