Thread: Slik cf tripods

Slik cf tripods

I have been doing some research for a new tripod. I'm leaning towards the Slik 624 CF. seems to be a good size/weight/$$$ ratio for me. I was thinking to top it off with a Benro S2. It will mainly be for my 65mm vortex razor to go on some mountain hunts. Would like to hear if its still recommended from the people who have had them for a couple years now, as most threads I read were a few years old. Is there anything in that price range that I should also look at and more important. Where did you buy it from is there any stores in Canada that sells the slik 624?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Slik cf tripods

People love the slik CF 624, check out the S&S Archery website, they sell them, there is a few video reviews on them that they've put together. They also review that benro head you are interested in. I believe they sell that too. Amazon.ca has the benro head for 122.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I have the SLIK 624 CF and a Sirui K10 Ball head, its a great Tripod, sturdy but I find a little heavy(29oz) and is more for backpacking as it only opens to 44.7 inches, it says 14" folded length but more like 17" with the ball head, the ball head and tripod together weighs 2lbs 13.4 oz,

That tripod is great if your sitting but to short for using while standing for any length of time.

I bought mine on Ebay(US)as I couldn't find it for sale in Canada
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 04-12-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

An option to consider: For your use a Slik Sprint Pro II (w/o center pipe for weight savings) will work.....mine is strictly used sitting flat on my butt with the legs kicked out on the second notch for stability. The stock ballhead that comes with it will work too, once you get used to using it. I have used mine for 6 seasons with my angled 65mm Swaro and it works fine for sheep hunting. Note that I never use the last wimpy leg extension and should just permantently remove them. The unit weighs 28 oz without the the center pipe, but including the ball head. I bought it from one of the New York City camera shops as they were the cheapest at the time.......cost $90 or so. Note that I have a Slik Mini Pro II but don't like the shorter legs as well since you have to use the lowest wimpy section in many cases and don't use it.

Looking at the specs, I'd say the 624 is a sturdy tripod that will serve you well. Given how long the Sprint Pro II has lasted, I wouldn't have a second of doubt the 624 will reliably work for as long as you are willing to carry it around the mountains.

For glassing around the truck or quad, get a big heavy duty tripod.....I've got two, a nice old Manfrotto/Bogen combo with a pistol grip head as well as a cheap Cabelas heavy duty unit for the old style video cameras. Both work well standing, but the Cabelas unit has too much cross bracing under it to easily use sitting as the bracing interferes with your legs.

Good luck on your hunts!
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 04-12-2017 at 09:13 AM.

I have the slik624. Been using it for a few years and its has been pretty good so far. I couldn't find anything better in that price range. Its lightweight and handles my 80mm spotter just fine. If you max out the height with the centerpole, the wind will affect it but its stable enough for a backpackers tripod. I have it with an outdoorsman head for a total weight of 39oz.

Don't know if there are any Canadian vendors now but i bought mine from SandS archery with the rokslide promo code.
    Last edited by JLsteel; 04-12-2017 at 03:15 PM.

I did see that S n S archery had them and had the videos on it, that's what kind of got me looking. was curious if there was a Canadian dealer, but I doesn't sound like it. Thanks to everyone for the reply.

Saint Six PM sent......