Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting dogs on raw diet??

Starting dogs on raw diet??

So we are trying to start our 2 hounds on a raw diet due to allergies (we believe it to be the wheat in kibble) and we feel the raw diet will allow us more control of what they are eating a lot better and to be able to determine any allergies for sure by cutting out certain items as needed until the allergies stop (if they don't right away after stopping kibble). Anyways, we have everything to start them on raw now and are trying to switch them over to the raw diet, but have hit a bit of a snag... They don't seem interested at all in eating their new meals! One will eat raw beef no problem but won't touch the raw chicken backs/necks, the other won't touch either raw beef or chicken. Anyone with any thoughts or input on how to get them accustomed to and start eating the new raw diet? Should we try mixing it partly with some kibble to start? Leave them until they are hungry enough to eat it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Starting dogs on raw diet??

Carbs in excess are not good for dogs{or humans for that matter}.Their bodies convert it to sugar and eventually leads to weight gain and other desease related to obesity.
    They evolved on eating primarily protien{meat}. The main problem with feeding them primarily a pure meat diet is cost obviously but that's what we are doing with our German Shepard pup.
    Don't worry about your dogs not consumeing meat at this point,just don't give them any choices,its natural food and once hungry enough they'll eat.When they get accustomed to eating meat there will be no problem believe me and no I wouldn't mix it with kibble.

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Do you have a cat? I had this problem with my first dog that I put on raw. She didn't want the raw chicken wing. She turned her nose up at it until the old tom I had came by and decided to try it. It wasn't long before I could catch a fish, throw it to her on the sandbar, and have her scarf it down.

If you don't have a cat just let them get hungry, then feed it to them by hand.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Russ, there is a long thread on this topic.
    We are Raw feeders and are pleased with the results on both our dogs.
    Would suggest however that you check the other thread where there is a very good post, I believe by a Member who is a Vet, where he cautions dog owners to be sure that the raw diet you use meets the nutritional requirements of your dog.
    Commercially made raw food is available where the contents and nutritional value of the food is stated, it's a whole lot easier than making it yourself and you are sure to get the nutrition right. Alternatively there are food supplements available where you add your choice of protein to make a properly balanced meal.
    Some of the larger Vet Offices have nutritionists on staff, always a good idea to toss your ideas past them.
    If you are feeding just raw meat with no veggies, supplements, whatever I'd be concerned about the dog's long term health.

^^^^What he said. I like making my own dog food, but you have to consider how the dog is going to get all the various nutrients it needs. Don't over-think it and worry too much, but I'm pretty sure that if you feed exclusively backs/necks/chicken carcasses the dog will be missing
    some key requirements.
    Rob Chipman

I believe it was me who started that thread because I was thinking about going with the raw food diet right from the get go when I got my pup and I will eventually make the switch but not until the pup is at least 11-12 months old. After talking to a few open minded vets and doing a ton of research I found it isn't the best idea to have puppies on a raw food diet unless you can be ABSOLUTELY certain of the ratio between calcium and phosphorus in the raw food.

It's easy enough to have both those minerals in the food,,,,it's the ratio between the two which is difficult to get right. All three vets I talked to who had owners with pups who have been on raw food diets from day one they had at least 1-2 cases where the pups had developed ricket like systems because the ratio was off between those two minerals. Of course once their bone growth is pretty much complete, dogs don't seem to to have that issue,,,,that's why I'm waiting awhile before making the switch.

The thing is , anytime you switch up a dog's diet you shouldn't just go from one to the other "cold turkey". You need to phase it in the same way you do when you switch up their kibble. You have to start with a blend leaning towards what they are used to eating (3/4 of what they are used to eating to 1/4 of the new diet) and gradually switch them over. It could take about a week to ten days if you don't want any digestive issues to come up. It's a good way to use up the old kibble anyway.

A couple of good places to buy the pre-made food are in Surrey (Cloverdale) and in Mission.

To clarify a few things:
    1) I have read the other thread but didn't see anything pertaining to getting them to actually eat the new stuff.
    2) Before starting this new raw diet we spoke with our vets and others already doing it as well as countless hours of research on the internet so I think we have a decent handle on it now.
    3) They are both fully grown, not puppies.
    4) We are not feeding them just meat/chicken/beef, just that raw chicken (with bones) and beef/deer/moose etc were going to be the bulk/base of it all. They also will get yam, turnip, a little cabbage, whole eggs shell and all (farm fresh though as apparently store bought eggs may have wax on the shell), liver, gizzards, cooked fish (raw can give parasites though some say if it's been frozen it will be ok but we err on side of caution and cook all fish), uncooked beef/deer/moose bones. I'm sure there are many more things I can't think of as we have made a whole list of things from various sources on what they can and can't have and what needs to be cooked or given raw. Even bought a kitchen scale to make sure portion sizes are accurate.

What we are having an issue with is getting them to eat the raw meats, especially the chicken and we are looking for input from others on how to get them started/used to it. I still think it's strange they don't touch it cause any dead animal they find in the bush they sure as heck are all over it...

I've never had the dog eat eggshells. I tried, giving them the whole egg, raw, figuring it would be minerals for them. They eat the egg, but not the shell. Are yours eating the shell?
    Rob Chipman

Why don't try phasing the raw food in with the kibble. Start with at least 60 % kibble, and then go to 50%, then 40%, and so on. I would also think, as was mentioned, when the dogs get hungry enough they should eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I've never had the dog eat eggshells. I tried, giving them the whole egg, raw, figuring it would be minerals for them. They eat the egg, but not the shell. Are yours eating the shell?
    Haven't tried the eggs yet, waiting for some farm eggs. I'm actually very curious as to how they will handle the whole eggs myself, could be kinda entertaining, I will be sure to give it to them outside, lol. A few things I have read suggest if they don't eat the shell as is then to break the egg open yourself and grind the shell up into the rest of the food/egg as the shell is important for, I believe, calcium and phosphorous, going off memory, would have to look up to be certain of the minerals.