Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting dogs on raw diet??

Re: Starting dogs on raw diet??

So we deboned and cooked the chicken last night and they ate it like that so I think we will gradually try to go from cooked/boned out chicken to uncooked bone in chicken. The male loves the raw beef now after we hand fed him a little to start with. The female still wasn't sure, she licked it then took a bite and spat it out and then came back and ate it a few minutes later and then took her time eating a little bit more so I think she will come around. They eat the cooked fish fine for now too.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    So we deboned and cooked the chicken last night and they ate it like that so I think we will gradually try to go from cooked/boned out chicken to uncooked bone in chicken. The male loves the raw beef now after we hand fed him a little to start with. The female still wasn't sure, she licked it then took a bite and spat it out and then came back and ate it a few minutes later and then took her time eating a little bit more so I think she will come around. They eat the cooked fish fine for now too.
    I don't think my pup will have any issues switching over. She's a glutton for food,,,,easy to train because of it, though. She really works for her treats,,,,deer jerky, grouse niblets, little square patches of fish skin, carrot pieces, slices of banana, asparagus ends, zucchini. The little tidbits of raw meat I've given her go down before she probably even tastes them. She even chews down acorn lids and little pine cones down in the backyard. I bet she'd eat tomatoes and cucumbers. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I don't think my pup will have any issues switching over. She's a glutton for food,,,,easy to train because of it, though. She really works for her treats,,,,deer jerky, grouse niblets, little square patches of fish skin, carrot pieces, slices of banana, asparagus ends, zucchini. The little tidbits of raw meat I've given her go down before she probably even tastes them. She even chews down acorn lids and little pine cones down in the backyard. I bet she'd eat tomatoes and cucumbers. LOL
    What we have started using as home made treats to avoid the wheat in most dog treats is dehydrated yam strips. Our male hound absolutely loves them. The female will eat them as long as the gf isn't the one giving them to her, lol, go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    What we have started using as home made treats to avoid the wheat in most dog treats is dehydrated yam strips. Our male hound absolutely loves them. The female will eat them as long as the gf isn't the one giving them to her, lol, go figure...
    Perfect, yam, sweet potato either done in the oven or dehydrater, make fantastic treats.
    Pumpkin ( canned variety but not the stuff with cinnamon, only pure pumpkin ) makes a great filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Perfect, yam, sweet potato either done in the oven or dehydrater, make fantastic treats.
    Pumpkin ( canned variety but not the stuff with cinnamon, only pure pumpkin ) makes a great filler.
    Haven't tried the pumpkin yet, but apparently it will also help with stomach/stool issues, a vet suggested it when our female was having issues with being "regular", but it was just the summer heat bothering her and we just coaxed her to drink more and keep cooler (she likes the sun).

I feed my dogs acana as a base, and then supplement with raw meat, bones and veggies....I'm not a fan of liver, so I make liver jerky for the dogs from all my wild game, they go nuts for it

with egg shells, I wait until I have a few cartons of empties, then toss them in a cheap grinder until they are fine enough, throw a spoonful in the dogs bowls a couple times a week...I didn't know about the wax coating though, thanks for that tip, I do get a lot of farmers eggs but for the grocery store eggs I'll start washing them before I crack them
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster