Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: caddisguy's ultimate tick experiment

Re: caddisguy's ultimate tick experiment

Good on ya for doing the experiment for sure!

Curious about the results as well...

Caddis,

I think you could spend that money much more wisely.

Your doctor does not want to be educated or he/she would already know how prevalent Lyme is in BC. I've spoken to many like him.

If, God forbid, you do get Lyme he will tell you that you are feeling ill because you have a virus that will pass. Then he will tell you that you aren't as young as you used to be. Then he will tell you it is all in your head, and you should maybe talk to a shrink.

My doctor is smart enough to admit that she is baffled by Lyme and by the medical community's head-in-the-sand approach.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I'm curious how a 15 dollar test can determine if a tick has Lyme, but it is very difficult to determine if a person a contracted it.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Interesting experiment for sure.... bugs usually dont like me so i'd be interested in seeing this spot of yours for ticks hahaha

after myltiple months living in the bush doing geology exploration i still have yet to see a tick let alone be bit by one.... but i was always working well up north so maybe theres less up there??
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I'm curious how a 15 dollar test can determine if a tick has Lyme, but it is very difficult to determine if a person a contracted it.
    The tick is small and contains the bacteria which is easy to test for. We can't crush up a human in a test tube with a solution and put a test strip in. We have to test for antibodies (American style) which can be false positive) or do an ELISA / Western Blot test (Canadian style which is prone to false negatives)

This test is going to be great, as it will show how prevelant Lyme is in my bear honey hole. If I do 20 tests and they are all negative, I would say risk is very low as ticks only transmit Lyme a small fraction of the time even when they carry it.

This information either way will be useful for outdoor users around Chilliwack/Hope and potentially doctors as well. If I get a significant number of positives I am going to educate some doctors, spam it around in the media and make a big issue out of it. This is going to have a positive impact one way of the other.

I just talked to caddisgirl. She is on board and we are happy to bankroll this. We are not rich by any means but in times of lack of bears, a jeep full of test tubes, crushing up ticks and waiting for test strips sounds awesome and worth every penny. Mobile Lyme testing lab this weekend!!

Dr. Ernie Murakami out of Hope. At the forefront of Lyme education and treatment.

Fantastic man, doctor and leader in the community for my entire youth, no doubt carried it on after I left in '94.

http://www.murakamicentreforlyme.org/

Oh man...I sound like BgBlkDg more and more every day...and kinda like it.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Caddis,

I think you could spend that money much more wisely.

Your doctor does not want to be educated or he/she would already know how prevalent Lyme is in BC. I've spoken to many like him.

If, God forbid, you do get Lyme he will tell you that you are feeling ill because you have a virus that will pass. Then he will tell you that you aren't as young as you used to be. Then he will tell you it is all in your head, and you should maybe talk to a shrink.

My doctor is smart enough to admit that she is baffled by Lyme and by the medical community's head-in-the-sand approach.
    I used less words than you

Don't crush em with just your fingers the spirochete can transit through skin good luck.
    canlyme is an excellent resource
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    So the tick thread on the Van Island section got my wheels spinning.

I have talked to my doctor a few times about Lyme but he tells me it is virtually non-existant West of the Rockies. At the same time, I have seen maps that show places in southwest BC (my hunting spot included) listed as high risk. I am curious who is right, as I get bit several times a year. To date I have had over 50 ticks in me and hundreds on me. Very few engorged for more than a day.

I read about a test kit called "Care Plus Tick Test" and found it at London Drugs. It is going to cost me quite a bit, but why not? This experiment is going to be wicked cool.

I am going to by 15-20 test kits at around $15 each. I am going to collect 15 adult deer ticks from my hunting spot (I can do this just by walking through a little brush in painter gear)

This will either put me at ease or educate a doctor. Either way it is going to be an awesome win.

Downside is it will cost me $200-300 but it will give me something to mess around with this weekend if there are still no bears around my area.

I am excited. Anyone else interested in this experiment or am I just nuts?
    About $7.99 plus taxes.

Save your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

This thread is making me itchy...