Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunt Timing

Sheep Hunt Timing

Hi all,

I am in the planning stages for my first sheep hunt. The hunt most likely won't happen until 2018, but who knows, it may happen this fall depending on how a few variables play out. I'm planning on having about 13 days to hunt. I'm combing maps and other sources looking at potential areas to pack into, and that search will continue for some time.

What I need a bit of help with is the potential timing of a sheep hunt.

What are the merits of hunting sheep a little later, say early to mid September vice heading out early when the season opens?? Never having seen the country before, I see no point at being part of a race into the mountains for opening day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep Hunt Timing

We're also heading in the first week of September this year. Normally we have focused on getting in there for the opener. I'm hoping the benefit of the later time will be the crowds have gone home and the sheep have calmed down.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

No bugs is a nice touch when hunting later in the season. The worst thing would be snow that you are not prepared for. Sometimes it seems that rams no one has seen surface later in the season and can be a pleasant surprise!
    The end of the season can be good, but the days are getting short and I have found they do not seem to be as tasty the last week of the season.

Al
    QUOTE=Ron.C;1896605]Hi all,

I am in the planning stages for my first sheep hunt. The hunt most likely won't happen until 2018, but who knows, it may happen this fall depending on how a few variables play out. I'm planning on having about 13 days to hunt. I'm combing maps and other sources looking at potential areas to pack into, and that search will continue for some time.

What I need a bit of help with is the potential timing of a sheep hunt.

What are the merits of hunting sheep a little later, say early to mid September vice heading out early when the season opens?? Never having seen the country before, I see no point at being part of a race into the mountains for opening day.[/QUOTE]

Come up for a coffee one day and a bullsh.t
    Might know a bit on the subject

I am heading in on first sheep hunt this sept, and I already know that two outfitters are in the same area I'm going in August, I am hoping the sheep will have relaxed a little and that at least one legal ram has been hiding, there are quite a few topics on this, use google as search and NBC topics come up as one sections, there are many great ram hunters on here that have shared this exact pro con argument of sept oct, vs August hunts

Be over ready for snow and just above zero rain.dont want your trip ruined because ya got wet then froze
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep

Seems there are some great rams taken the first few days of the season, for obvious reasons. Only done one trip early season, weather was hot, bugs were horrendous, Rams were not as 'sharp' as usual and their hair was thin. Snowpack left behind was another bonus.
    Other 3 trips have been late August/early sept. Great weather but be prepared for anything. Rams seem to be a bit smarter, very few bugs mostly flies left, water a bit more scarce and rams are starting to fill out hair wise. Our taxidermist gets a good bunch of quality rams later in the year too. Our timing might be off too as we've only harvested dinkers' HA
    Would love to see some last week of the season ram behaviour someday. But snow in early sept every trip keeps me from planning for that time!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Would love to see some last week of the season ram behaviour someday
    Early October sheep are still on summer range, though food choices are changing as leaves change or drop. Watching them target dwarf birch before the red leaves hit the ground, you would think they haven't eaten in a month. The sheep have to move a bit more in elevation but not changing drainages yet ....IME, ymmv

Hair is definitely thicker and often darker already too. Makes for quite a contrast to an August kill.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 04-11-2017 at 06:29 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I'm with Boxhitch on this one, the cape is almost half the trophy and years from now when you look at that rich, haired up October ram, you'll wonder why anyone would want to kill a skinny one. A little snow in the grip' grin looks tough too!
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Thanks guys,

I'm just not a huge fan of hunting when it's warm. I used to hunt the archery elk seasons in the east Kootenay, but hated how warm it was some years. Sure, if the season opener is the best time to go then so be it. But I'd really like to have some cooler weather to make meat care a little easier . I think for what I am looking at, I'll probably end up planning for a mid Sept departure.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-12-2017 at 12:35 PM.