Thread: Tetsa or Itchas? Or somewhere else?

Tetsa or Itchas? Or somewhere else?

So, spit-balling here because it's a weekday and I'm at work.

For your first self-guided horse hunt would you go to the Tetsa River, the Itchas or somewhere else?

I know one of the first questions is: what are you looking for? Moose, of course, and anything else is a bonus.

Tetsa requires spike, tri-palm of ten point for moose. Itchas are LEH for moose.

Tetsa has elk (3 pt up to Sept 9, 6 point after) and caribou. Itchas only have LEH for caribou.

Why go to the Itchas at all if it's LEH for moose and caribou and there's no elk? Primarily because it's closer to the LM by a day's drive each way.

All input, opinions, warnings, advice welcome.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tetsa or Itchas? Or somewhere else?

Tetsa because there is more options and no worry about LEH

I would choose Itcha, just because the Chilcotin area is the shit.

I would go to the itcha only because I loved the book grass beyond the mountains. I have no real world input on either.

Itchas all the way. Both places are beautiful and both you should be able to pull game. Either has 50" plus moose and some great bull caribou. Itchas in my mind you will see more shoot able game, if you get the tags. Odds for LEH are pretty good though.

Somewhere else!
    Why not in the northwest Skeena area? Dease Lake North and NorthWest, the last time I checked there were no antler restrictions for moose. The moose up by the Yukon border can be great quality and the caribou are probably the the best in the province. There are some areas like the Horseranch that have a taste of everything. You will need some toys though. A string of horses, jet boat or supercub would be nice to have in your arsenal.
    Just my two bits?
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    So, spit-balling here because it's a weekday and I'm at work.

For your first self-guided horse hunt would you go to the Tetsa River, the Itchas or somewhere else?

I know one of the first questions is: what are you looking for? Moose, of course, and anything else is a bonus.

Tetsa requires spike, tri-palm of ten point for moose. Itchas are LEH for moose.

Tetsa has elk (3 pt up to Sept 9, 6 point after) and caribou. Itchas only have LEH for caribou.

Why go to the Itchas at all if it's LEH for moose and caribou and there's no elk? Primarily because it's closer to the LM by a day's drive each way.

All input, opinions, warnings, advice welcome.
    Last edited by Alfonz; 04-10-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Tetsa gets pounded hy horseback hunters.guides.i agree with alfonz.north of dease
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep

The Tet, total Serengeti.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life