49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Runt

33 67.35%
  • Brute

16 32.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runt vs brute

Runt vs brute

Well I am trying to pick which pup I should go for. I have the choice of either the runt or the brute of the litter. Talking to the breeder the runt is no doubt smaller than the rest and the brute is a giant for the breed. Both a healthy and the markings I am looking for.

It is a small munsterlander plans are mostly for ducks and the odd goose over water. Most goose hunting is field. Never trained a dog for pointing but plan on attempting. So upland maybe be a secondary. If the dog only retrieves I am happy enough

The dog will be an inside dog as well

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Runt vs brute

Ive breed litters on and off for yrs {german shepards PB]and always gave the pick of the litter {healthiest } to friends or family.
    The pick will be the one that figured out the tit contains the milk the fastest then dominates it on feedings.
    Ive also seen runts of the litter that turned out as large as the pick of the litter later on down the road if size is part of your criteria .
    have fun with your new dog
    takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

I see benefits to both smaller and a larger dog is part of the problem

In the past I have picked my pups by watching them but unfortunately the breeder is in Alberta so stuck going by pic's. I know the runt has been spoiled so should be a good people dog but the breed is known as a good family dog anyway.

Tough making the choice without being able to observe the pups in person

Id go for the runt. As long as I can remember my grandpa has always called me a runt.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I try to pick based on personality. Would you want a dog that fights you for dominance or a calmer more reserved dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghengis Khandrey View Post
    I try to pick based on personality. Would you want a dog that fights you for dominance or a calmer more reserved dog?
    you can solve the problem of a dominant dog thru obedience training and if a difficult prospect you can roll the dog

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghengis Khandrey View Post
    Never had issues with dominance not worried about it

Smaler Munslander is a such a great breed to have, don't you mind to share the breeder contact?

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    Smaler Munslander is a such a great breed to have, don't you mind to share the breeder contact?
    There is 2 in Alberta the batch I am getting mine from are all spoken for. I know the other breeder is trying a pairing in May. I will bug my wife for contact info if you are interested

Odds are you will be on a waiting list but no deposit till pups are born

Cool Re: Runt vs brute

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    ... Talking to the breeder the runt is no doubt smaller than the rest and the brute is a giant for the breed.
    You since nailed it. Damn hard call without witnessing their personalities hands on.
    Either could be exactly what you are seeking.
    In that situation I would ask for the breeder to ID the "Smartest" one of the litter - hopefully the one you ask is a hunter, and realizes where you're coming from...

Picking one from afar is something I've never done in person...

It is a small munsterlander plans are mostly for ducks and the odd goose over water. Most goose hunting is field. Never trained a dog for pointing but plan on attempting. So upland maybe be a secondary.
    Excellent choice of breed for what you are seeking. My Parents have run gun dogs for damn near 70 years now. They love their slightly larger versions of the Münsterländer (or Großer Münsterländer). Love family & kids, and perform like champions in the field. Pa is running one these years mostly on pheasants, so I'd hazard a guess yours will likely do OK with upland game. All of his have excelled in that pursuit. He & Ma prefer female hunting dogs/pets, and they don't ever get near the 65 pound size or so of the larger males. More like 40 - 45. Even though they call this version "Greater" or "Larger".

BTW: I voted for the Brute, but Boogsy (150+ pounds now) made me do it...

Tadpole: A Very Serious Consideration is in order Buddy!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me