• Runt

33 67.35%
  • Brute

16 32.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Runt vs brute

Re: Runt vs brute

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
    Smaler Munslander is a such a great breed to have, don't you mind to share the breeder contact?
    Pm sent your way

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    You since nailed it. Damn hard call without witnessing their personalities hands on.
    Either could be exactly what you are seeking.
    In that situation I would ask for the breeder to ID the "Smartest" one of the litter - hopefully the one you ask is a hunter, and realizes where you're coming from...

Picking one from afar is something I've never done in person...

Excellent choice of breed for what you are seeking. My Parents have run gun dogs for damn near 70 years now. They love their slightly larger versions of the Münsterländer (or Großer Münsterländer). Love family & kids, and perform like champions in the field. Pa is running one these years mostly on pheasants, so I'd hazard a guess yours will likely do OK with upland game. All of his have excelled in that pursuit. He & Ma prefer female hunting dogs/pets, and they don't ever get near the 65 pound size or so of the larger males. More like 40 - 45. Even though they call this version "Greater" or "Larger".

BTW: I voted for the Brute, but Boogsy (150+ pounds now) made me do it...

Tadpole: A Very Serious Consideration is in order Buddy!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Not being able to observe pups first hand makes this choice tough for sure.

All my research and talking to people on this breed made me choose the small Munsterlander. Breeder is a hunter with healthy lines. It seems the small munsterlander breeders are trying to keep it as a hunting breed and highly encourage you hunt test your pup. They try to have pups going to hunting homes. I have faith worst case I end up with a good family dog that can bring back a duck or two lol

worst part is waiting till the 30th to get my pup. But than the hard work of a puppy starts lol

After a life time of breeding and training gundogs I can say this with out a doubt, it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog. My old girl was the runt, 12 seasons latter she is still retrieving. My young spaniel was the runt, 32 lbs and retrieves 10 lb Canadas. I pick the drive and attitude of the pup, you can't train drive. I find really big pups are more susceptible to joint problems than smaller lighter dogs, if you do get a big brute try not to let it get to heavy when it is developing. With a runt, they usually catch up to some extent by the time they finish growing so what you see isn't always what you get. It's a crap shoot either way, a trainer with far more knowledge than me once said. "The most optimistic thing a man will ever do is reach into a pile of squirming pups, pull one out and say, this will be my gundog". What ever you choose, enjoy the ride.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I've always taken the runt of the litter. I look for it when choosing my dog. (Golden Retriever) I've found them to be the most obedient and best companion. The one reason I might suggest taking the 'first born' would be if you are going to show it and breed it.

For myself the pup is to be a companion for the family and hunting partner. Not worried about show or breeding but I may hunt test the pup. It seems those breeding munsterlanders all encourage the hunt test and trying to have results registered with the dog. I have little knowledge of this as my last dog and ones I grew up with were merely trained for personal needs.

I having been leaning towards the runt since the start for the potential of weight/joint issues that may come with a big brute a Foxton mentioned. I have not experienced having the runt or brute of the litter and know there is many myths and opinions on the two.

Have a bad habit of over thinking especially when lacking firsthand experience with something lol

My gf and I have 2 hounds, a treeing walker and a bluetick. The treeing walker (a bitch in both meanings, who is spayed) was the largest of the litter by a long shot, she ended up smaller than we expected on the smaller end for the breed, and has a very dominant/aggressive/entitled demeanor, she has to be reminded and put in her place regularly. The bluetick (an intact male) was on the small side in his litter, can't remember if he was the smallest runt or not but was small compared to most of the pups anyways, he is now the top end of the size for the breed and has one of the best attitudes/demeanors of any dogs we've owned. We have both had dogs in the past and both of these hounds were raised the same way, by the same people, in the same environment. The only difference is age, the female came first so was an only dog for about a year before we got the male, so take from that what you will.

Thumbs up Re: Runt vs brute

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    ... it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog...
    Gotta agree with that Foxy. Ma & Pa's latest was the second smallest in her litter.
    She only grew up to a little less than 40 pounds, which for the "Greater" version is considered small.
    Yet last fall she entered the Idaho Field Trials (note, she comes from Hunting, not Show nor Trial Bloodlines) and she placed FIRST!
    Pretty good commentary on both her heredity and Pa's training efforts!

She'll enter that again this year, and perhaps wander on to the Western US Competitions.
    In the mean time, she is one hell of a fantastic pointer and retriever, especially loving pheasants...
    And a most excellent all round Family Companion!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Got an email from the breeder and it sounds like the runt seems more driven to please people is showing good drive with the introduction training

Brute is still shows drive not as far along as the runt if I am understanding correct and more independent

I will be getting video of both soon

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Got an email from the breeder and it sounds like the runt seems more driven to please people is showing good drive with the introduction training

Brute is still shows drive not as far along as the runt if I am understanding correct and more independent

Similar to what I stated in my previous post. The female that was the large dominant pup is more "her way or the highway" she'll do as she pleases when she wants to. The male that was smaller as a pup is eager to please and listens responds to commands much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post

I think you have answered your own question right here.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.