Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prawn poachers Saanich Inlet

Prawn poachers Saanich Inlet

That time of the year again, the prawn harvest is on!

Sadly, so is the scummy actions of a few. Trap lifting and trap theft seems to be on the rise. To have had 2?traps stolen and have talked to come fellow prawners who have lost a few as well.

Our gear is solid and we know our depths, so thinking thieves are amongst us.

Heres to hoping the poaching stops or the poachers gag on their stolen prawns.
    Blacktailaholic

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Prawn poachers Saanich Inlet

I haven't prawned for many years but theft has always been a problem. Usually just lifted and stolen catch but sometimes the gear...
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Same with crab traps.

going set traps (only 1 prawn and 3 crab) tomorrow on our way to find springs...looking forward to it rain or shine....yeeeeehaaaaaa.....hope our traps will be safe for the day

Setting Prawn-Crab traps kind of like hanging a trail camera . There's always some scum bag out there stealing them . So sad but guess just a sign of the times with some so called " sportsman"
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

True, sportsman keep fighting the just fight. I will never stop doing what I love to do, as a hunter gatherer like my father before me and my sons and their children, despite having to deal with ass hats once in a while.
    Blacktailaholic

how have you found the prawning so far? I heard from one person that it is slimmer pickings in the inlet.

The sad thing is people know boats that are doing it. There is a large blue hulled Sea Ray (or something like that) that is known to be a thief. Has been busted by people....but is still out there.

Its the the same with bottom fishers from another country who don't speak Engrish. It's well known and should I come back in my next life as a DFO officer, McDonald Beach will be my ticket writing quota.

It's the same story out of Prince Rupert with crab traps. We go there a handful of times a years and have learned you can't trust setting your trap out of sight of where we fish and if you leave it out overnight you take the risk of it growing legs and walking off.

We have talked to the locals and they know the boats that have been spotted pulling traps in the past. And I always think to myself it, if fisheries wanted to catch these people it would be fairly easy with today's technology.

We were capmed on a beach many years ago and there was a crab trap out about 200 yds from shore. just about every boat that went by pulled it up to have a look.