Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Prawn poachers Saanich Inlet

Re: Prawn poachers Saanich Inlet

why the hell would a boat that big poach prawns and not buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Very good question, laziness and entitlement? Pleading stupid when pulling traps?

Last summer I think it was there was a larger blue hulled SeaRay that was rumored to have been seen pulling traps or got caught by an owner....it was a pretty expensive boat too.

I am taking a wild guess that if poaching or raiding traps they are likely keeping more than their limit if they even have licenses at all.

We've had so many traps stolen or dumped I don't even want to put them out any more. I'm a pretty calm guy, but it makes me furious and I start wonder what 180 gr accubond would do to an outboard. Those feeling aren't good for my blood pressure, so no more delicious prawns for me.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

If you can read the licence # on the bigger vessel, you can usually find the owner's details.
    I searched the vessel name but it doesn't come up with anything as it's likely not a registered vessel.
    I can't read the lisc. # on the picture ??

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    If you can read the licence # on the bigger vessel, you can usually find the owner's details.
    I searched the vessel name but it doesn't come up with anything as it's likely not a registered vessel.
    I can't read the lisc. # on the picture ??

On the big boat?

If it's not a registered boat = big fine time for the water police to do their jobs. Poaching is poaching record and report

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    On the big boat?
    Yes, that one.
    You'll see some numbers just below the railing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    If it's not a registered boat = big fine time for the water police to do their jobs. Poaching is poaching record and report
    Uh, you don't have to register a vessel of that size but you do have to licence ​it which is what appears to be on his starboard bow area.
    Two different things.

My traps get stolen every year off Ambleside at West Vancouver. Sucks at end of the day to go grab your traps and they are gone. Fisheries should be watching this a bit closer.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    I've heard that the rich/wealthy/ can be just as much a low down dirty thief as someone who has nothing. Likewise, I know people who have nothing and would never even think of taking anything from anyone. Just because someone has money doesn't make them honest. I think thievery is just a symptom of something else that's going on in someones life, and the high of stealing is a compensating drug of sorts. Plus, kleptomania can affect any social class.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""