Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying or dragging moose through the buck brush

Re: Carrying or dragging moose through the buck brush

Lumber wrap is almost indestructible. It's like a fibreglass reinforced tarp material. Cut holes in it for rope and it doesn't tear. Slippery too. The other thing I have is a long sling of webbing. I put it over one shoulder so I can pull with my body instead of my arms.

If you're not familiar with it; it's used to wrap lumber for transport. Almost any lumber yard will have bins of the stuff. A friend used to have hundreds of roll ends. Awesome stuff.
    Last edited by Gun Dog; 04-08-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    I have a section of a truck box liner that I keep in the truck, not really small enough for a 185 though, but indestructible even behind a quad

CC's sound good until you realize the size, just not wide enough to wrap around anything

A Dead Sled is more appropriate. http://www.deadsled.com/products?product_id=30
    Similar plastic can be bought at Northern Plastics
    Another on that's similar is the Deer Sleigh'r. Rolls up pretty tight when you're done so it wouldn't take much space in a plane.

Magnum Deer Sleigh'r Game Sled - 138755, Game Carriers & Hoists ...

All the recommendation of using a something to help it slide are helpful. 1 thing that makes game even easier to drag when combined with this is a deer dragger. Basicly it is a five point harness with a rope coming off your back. A tree stand harrness works great as well. This makes it way easier and gives you the most pulling strength along with being hands free. Even without the crazy carpet it makes a huge difference

Google deer draggers they are cheap I bought mine for just over 20$ 15years ago and it has saved me a lot of hard work and worth every cent. It is the one trick

Only better option for dragging game is take a rookie and use him for a pack mule in exchange for your knowledge

guest Guest

If you have lots of cash, and crazy carpets keep breaking, spend big money, never buy another one, hand it down to several generations if our critter populations hold up, and purchase a SKED RESCUE Stretcher.

you will never need another. Done.

Ive pulled many a bull out of the bush and thru buckbrush 5 ft high it can be a tangled mess from hell,then add in swamps, uneven terrain ,deadfalls ect ect many of the suggested means here just don't work so well.Bone out and Pack is the way weve always done it with difficult extractions.If its getting too hard on the body ,well that's why my dad finally slowed down and eventually quit on the hunting and we brought my sons in when old enough to pack meat.
    last few yrs Ive noticed those quarters don't lift up to the hang pole like the used to..
    We also cut a fir pole about 6-7 ft long and drive it thru the ribs on the fronts and the lower leg tendons on the rear quarters then a guy on each end of the pole will get the moose out of the bush quite efficiently..but you knew that
    theres no magic bullet unfortunately

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Quote Originally Posted by takla1 View Post
    Ive pulled many a bull out of the bush and thru buckbrush 5 ft high it can be a tangled mess from hell,then add in swamps, uneven terrain ,deadfalls ect ect many of the suggested means here just don't work so well.Bone out and Pack is the way weve always done it with difficult extractions.If its getting too hard on the body ,well that's why my dad finally slowed down and eventually quit on the hunting and we brought my sons in when old enough to pack meat.
    last few yrs Ive noticed those quarters don't lift up to the hang pole like the used to..
    We also cut a fir pole about 6-7 ft long and drive it thru the ribs on the fronts and the lower leg tendons on the rear quarters then a guy on each end of the pole will get the moose out of the bush quite efficiently..but you knew that
    theres no magic bullet unfortunately

takla
    I agree, no easy way. With blow down and other fun things dragging can be a pain. I have used a lewis chain saw winch but this is hard heavy work as well. Unless there is snow on the ground, packing on your back seems to be the most efficient way.

Hunting by canoe is another option.

i tie my drag rope to my thickish leather waist belt when i drag medium distances on level ground to use my legs instead of my back for med deer <2km-otherwise radio for assistance if available..heheheh...if really steep ill do a loop on each end of the rope around the shouders and free travelling through the ankle holes....that way you can hold it back and swing it from one side to a spot on the other side as you decend or let it go if you have to..then flip it around as shoulder straps to drag it shorter flatter bits..works great ...i always carry 20' of rope on my belt when in the bush...when going up you can slip one side off run it up hill till the other loop is at the ankles tie to an anchor point with a flat spot below it pull on the loop at the anklesas it slips through the ankles it act like a pully making the pull almost cut in half...pull it up to the flat spot and tie to new anchor point...walk back down untie first anchor and pull it up to the new landing .....it means travelling twice as far of course unless you have one person on each end then it is much easier with each person taking turns pulling, anchoring/resting

moose on the otherhand ...we have floated them whole across lakes or spent hours cutting trails to get quads in to them... also the old "tie it to a pole" with two people...we have a rescue team at work and get monthy training including the use of a SKED Stretcher...the Firefighter fellow who does most of our training sesions swears by the Sked for dragging moose portions but you must add some additional ties to keep it place (a lot of safety equipment expires after 5 years so i may be able to repurpose an old one one day too...heheheh) ....a deer fits in a sked stretcher like a hand in a glove and ties up nice with existing straps (he's shown us some pics of moose and deer wrapped up for dragging as there are 4 hunters on our 10 person team)...
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 04-08-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    All the recommendation of using a something to help it slide are helpful. 1 thing that makes game even easier to drag when combined with this is a deer dragger. Basicly it is a five point harness with a rope coming off your back. A tree stand harrness works great as well. This makes it way easier and gives you the most pulling strength along with being hands free. Even without the crazy carpet it makes a huge difference

Google deer draggers they are cheap I bought mine for just over 20$ 15years ago and it has saved me a lot of hard work and worth every cent. It is the one trick

Only better option for dragging game is take a rookie and use him for a pack mule in exchange for your knowledge
    A guy I work with does this. He uses an older harness and trimmed off the extras and ties off on the D ring on the back. Great idea as having a rope digging into your shoulder isn't fun
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    A guy I work with does this. He uses an older harness and trimmed off the extras and ties off on the D ring on the back. Great idea as having a rope digging into your shoulder isn't fun
    Actually picked this up from a rookie I took out deer hunting in Alberta. I told him the deal for taking him hunting was he had to drag any deer shot to the truck and he came prepared lol. After watching how easy he dragged his deer out I had to try it myself. Way easier on the body, hands free, and gives you more pulling power without a doubt. I have actually jogged dragging deer down a de activated road using a harness

awseome tool but if you are way back in the bush de boned in a pack is still best.

Find a friend of a friend who is a "Bar-buster" or a rebar trier (the guys on commercial construction sites who tie rebar) ask him for one of their "purses" or their "hair pin" bags. These things are made of heavy duty nylon weave fabric with straps and can handle 1000 lbs or more. They come in 2 sizes, 2x2x2 or 3x3x3 and can hold a whole lot of crap without falling apart. I'm know they can handle regular buck brush unless you hook up on something real sharp. Harris Rebar make a real nice one and they fold up tight and tiny. You can also get nylon fabric garbage bins, the kind a person who's doing a home renovation can fill up with crap in their drive way and then they come by and hoist on to a deck truck, but these are a bit bigger, you could put the whole moose in one and hoist it with a chopper or tow it with your quad and it will stay clean.
    Hope this helps, the few I've been able to smuggle off the site I''m on aren't clean or pretty but they don't seem to stick around before one of my buddies seems to need it.