Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying or dragging moose through the buck brush

Carrying or dragging moose through the buck brush

I've carried my share of thousands of pounds of meat on my back. Now that I'm in my 50's, carrying those northern bull hinds is getting a bit much for these old bones.
    These are fly in trips, no horses, quads, just plain old humping it!
    With the amount of new products out there, I would think there has to be something to help in dragging a portion of meat to save a walking trip and yet small enough to fit in the side of a beaver. I've thought of those small sleds but for those of us that have flown in many float planes, there just in not much space behind those seats.
    We also know that buckbrush is abrasive so heavy poly won't cut it. Need something durable enough to carry the weight but also have the strength for rope attachements.
    I'm not trying to load this up with hundreds of lbs. Maybe one hind and some neck meat. Some walks are a KM, some are alot longer.
    Any ideas?? I'm sure some of you are in the same boat as myself. What product makes your lives easier?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Carrying or dragging moose through the buck brush

Find a kids crazy carpet and drill some holes down the sides that you can lace up to keep the meat in place.

bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

If I drill holes down the sides of the crazy carpet, is the material strong enough to with stand the pulling witha rope or do ya think it would tear the material over a distance? It sounds like you have experience with the strength of these sleds

I got a kid who should be about the right size to pack the heavy stuff for me when I'm not up to it. Excellent planning on my part really

Mylar belt works good... and the good old UHMW.. in thin sheets.

Don't know the terrain you will be traversing, but will something like this be an asset?

http://www.packwheel.com/
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

I use a crazy carpet ,drill holes and put tarp grommets in . I found without the grommets sometimes the rope would pull through the holes. Amazing how much easier the drag is.

I have a section of a truck box liner that I keep in the truck, not really small enough for a 185 though, but indestructible even behind a quad

CC's sound good until you realize the size, just not wide enough to wrap around anything

A Dead Sled is more appropriate. http://www.deadsled.com/products?product_id=30
    Similar plastic can be bought at Northern Plastics
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

That black plastic pond liner looks an awful lot like crazy carpet. Find some of that and you could make it whatever size you like. Probably pretty cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    I have a section of a truck box liner that I keep in the truck, not really small enough for a 185 though, but indestructible even behind a quad

CC's sound good until you realize the size, just not wide enough to wrap around anything

A Dead Sled is more appropriate. http://www.deadsled.com/products?product_id=30
    Similar plastic can be bought at Northern Plastics
    That looks promising. Rolls up into a nice small bundle and lightweight.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.