Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying or dragging moose through the buck brush

Re: Carrying or dragging moose through the buck brush

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Nothing wrong with that, as the common sense usually comes from experience, and that tells us how to make the best of things. If that means choosing brains over brawn, thats okay too.

When pulling a sled/drag/body gets tough, throw on a pulley or two and add some rope to build an advantage.
    Slow and steady gets there too.
    My main hunting partner is an arborist and carries micro pulleys. I need to pay attention to his tricks one day because what he can move with the way he rigs pulleys is amazing

I brought two goats off a mountain once at the same time , whole, by dragging a canoe up the mountian, loading them in and dragging them out. Helped that there was snow and a snowshoe track to follow along but the bush was thick and they came out very easily

Packing a big moose out from deep in the bush is just so very epic. The feeling of getting the last load out to the road is amazing. Because of work I may not be hunting the rut like I used to, I think the late draws are going to be my focus, hunting in the snow. I feel this should make the extraction much easier using a polar boggin or such.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Find a kids crazy carpet and drill some holes down the sides that you can lace up to keep the meat in place.

bhb
    Then, after you've got the chunks of moose tied down real good, "Do Not" tie your drag rope onto the crazy carpet, tie the rope onto the big chunk of steam'in moose meat and Bob's your Uncle! Which has me think'in right now, I'm going to hook a set of quad tire's and rim's onto a pair of my old gum boots, and next moose I get I'll cut the leg's at the knee joint on both hind leg's and slip them into the boots, next I'm going to tie both front leg's together with hundred mile a hour tape, the head and neck should sit quite nicely on top of the legs I'd think! Now all's a guy has to do is tie the hooves onto the trailer hitch of your quad and home you go! Hell, add a couple brake lights and all you 604 boys could drive the moose all the way back to the coast! Oh ya, Patient Pending, of course! No copy Cat's!

--- I dragged a few moose out of the bush but no where near what some of you moose hunters have.
    -- PG, Barriere, Lil Fort, Kammy, Tsinsunku, Jay My son and so on Valemount too.
    I get mine as close to the road as possible firstly, I road hunt for moose basically and hopefully on a slope down or at least flat.
    -- Then when I see the moose I can take from the road I hone in for a deadly accurate shot in the boiler room.
    - Once the moose is down I gut, I don't use gutless so I get the liver and heart and ribs.
    All depends how big the moose is too.
    - Quarter and cut all lower leg bone off with hoofs.
    --- Put a rope on and start grunting, a big moose you'll need to eigth not just quarter to get it out even 300 yards in the bush off the road. Have a crew to help, if weather is cool enuff or if it's still to warmish, get it out fast and get the hide off to cool it out, then get it to the cooler.
    Jel-- a strong back and a weak mind helps -- your going to have to lift a bit too not just drag.
    -- Do not use plastic to cover warm meat, use proper game bags --
    Last edited by Jelvis; 04-11-2017 at 09:10 PM.

the Honda capstan winch i bought (with help from a thread on this site) could work. weights 20 pounds.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    --- I dragged a few moose out of the bush but no where near what some of you moose hunters have.
    -- PG, Barriere, Lil Fort, Kammy, Tsinsunku, Jay My son and so on Valemount too.
    I get mine as close to the road as possible firstly, I road hunt for moose basically and hopefully on a slope down or at least flat.
    -- Then when I see the moose I can take from the road I hone in for a deadly accurate shot in the boiler room.
    - Once the moose is down I gut, I don't use gutless so I get the liver and heart and ribs.
    All depends how big the moose is too.
    - Quarter and cut all lower leg bone off with hoofs.
    --- Put a rope on and start grunting, a big moose you'll need to eigth not just quarter to get it out even 300 yards in the bush off the road. Have a crew to help, if weather is cool enuff or if it's still to warmish, get it out fast and get the hide off to cool it out, then get it to the cooler.
    Jel-- a strong back and a weak mind helps -- your going to have to lift a bit too not just drag.
    -- Do not use plastic to cover warm meat, use proper game bags --
    jelly bean, why can't you get the heart liver and such doing the gutless? The parts are there, once the meat is off the bone, cut in and get them!! moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

proddetail.asp deer sleigh'r work good on bare ground and unbelievable on snow

To die with a moose on your back..... There is only one other way I'd rather go.

As I get older I now take very small hind quarters (no ribs) or I just debone everything. I have never packed a front more than a hundred meters. Take more trips and fewer pounds per load.

I've never used them but have seen a simple canvas stretcher that looked pretty good. It I was a few hundred meters off the lake or river then two guys and a stretcher would make sense. More than five hundred meters and I'd debone everything, cut a nice trail with a chainsaw, and enjoy every trip.

Im still hurting from every moose I have packed out. The moose last year bruised my soul.