Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mapping out your spot!

Re: Mapping out your spot!

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    I think I'd have to disagree about whitetails avoiding the steep stuff, you won't find them as high as mule deer(they can be found in sheep country) but I've certainly seen and shot more than a few in some pretty rugged stuff. Especially if there is hunting pressure. That said I have found more on gentler(still a work out) slopes here in the Kootenays. They seem to inhabit a wide range of habitat.
    Found them in odd places as well. Rolling ridges I still hunt but in the steeper stuff I often find them in the bottom of large ravines. That said never hunted the kootenays so it could be different than most of the areas I hunted

I did find the odd strange pockets hunting Canmore which I would assume is simular to the kootenays

Hmm ground blind building sounds fun.... like being a kid and building a fort!!! Im looking at region 8, trying to pinpoint a spot but thinking MU 8-5 if i can would be my main looker, not sure theres many whitie there though!!!
    ~Wes

There is some WT but it is way better for mule deer. Farther east is better for WT

Hmmmm is there enough commonality to attempt to target both species? I always buy both tags anyways on that off chance.... Is there a way to tell via sign the species of deer your looking at?
    ~Wes

For sure there is in region 8, some areas have a good mix of both in one area even some higher elevation areas.

Hey Wes - have you looked at the how to hunt app? Might be a good way to narrow your research. www.howtohunt.com

And, in case you're wondering, I've never met Steve (but I've seen what has to be one of his cams )

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    I think I'd have to disagree about whitetails avoiding the steep stuff, you won't find them as high as mule deer(they can be found in sheep country) but I've certainly seen and shot more than a few in some pretty rugged stuff. Especially if there is hunting pressure. That said I have found more on gentler(still a work out) slopes here in the Kootenays. They seem to inhabit a wide range of habitat.
    This I agree with, there isn't a type of terrain that I haven't seen the odd whitetail in - they adapt to every kind of habitat, though there are types that are preferred...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    All depends on the species, time of year I plan on hunting, hunting method, how pressured the area is and the terrain. Without the answers to the factors listed all I can really say is I am searching for food, water, cover, and potential travel routes. Also looking for what will limit hunting pressure natural barriers like water, distance that must be covered on foot, firearm restrictions, or is it so stupid most drive right by

Basicly looking for that magic spot I think the animals are hiding in and hunters are not lol
    Well said, there are many factors to consider..

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    For arguments sake i will say i am hunting white tails in a pressured area and looking for an area that is about a 1-3km hike in without toad access, my dilema is if i find a spot i think looks good "some cover and water" am i gunna hike 3+ km in one way and see no wildlife.... dont get me wrong i like the hike, and the exploration, but if i only get three- four days of solid hunting and i hike in i'd like to know there might be something there

cant seem to find too much regarding what elevation deer hang about at around sept-oct as that is likely when i will be able to get away the most. Currently been looking at elevations around 1000 - 1600 m mark,is this too high for white tails?
    Just cause you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there, pay attention to sign sign sign...fresh sign..

mornings, I will sit and wait for them to move up from feeding areas like farm fields or meadows to a bench for does or a plateau/top for bucks as it gets light...they do tend to vacate before light so being too close to the feeding area may result in only seeing/hearing them in the dark..... the does tend to find a nearby hill side and I will position myself where I think they will have to pass by to get there....

After 10-1030 I will slowly (very slowly) creep up to those areas to see if I can surprise one that went there without passing me...this can take another couple of hours it to if you proceed as slowly as I do....

evenings I tend to get up higher to catch them moving back down