Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mapping out your spot!

Mapping out your spot!

Hey guys, just curious with the advent of all these mapling tools, sat photos, topo capabilities i have been doing alot of searching online trying to pin point some locations i might enjoy hunting for deer, etc.

Was just curious when people use these mapping searches what features do you loom for? Do you care about elevation? What about desert looking areas? As someone who likes to go farther out, and therefore can mostly "scout from the sky" is there anything in particular i should be looking for? Does Density of tree cover play a large role to where you look to hunt?

Just curious what other guys look for if they use mapping services to scout areas before being able to physically get in there.

Ive currently been looking for sparsely treed areas with multiple drainages so i can try and glass more then i usually do, and assuming drainages hold water and therefore game?

am i on the right track or way off?

Thanks!
    ~Wes

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mapping out your spot!

As a fellow new hunter, I'm not sure how helpful I can be when it comes to this topic. But I'll definitely stick around to hear what other people have to say!

All depends on the species, time of year I plan on hunting, hunting method, how pressured the area is and the terrain. Without the answers to the factors listed all I can really say is I am searching for food, water, cover, and potential travel routes. Also looking for what will limit hunting pressure natural barriers like water, distance that must be covered on foot, firearm restrictions, or is it so stupid most drive right by

Basicly looking for that magic spot I think the animals are hiding in and hunters are not lol

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    Hey guys, just curious with the advent of all these mapling tools, sat photos, topo capabilities i have been doing alot of searching online trying to pin point some locations i might enjoy hunting for deer, etc.

Was just curious when people use these mapping searches what features do you loom for? Do you care about elevation? What about desert looking areas? As someone who likes to go farther out, and therefore can mostly "scout from the sky" is there anything in particular i should be looking for? Does Density of tree cover play a large role to where you look to hunt?

Just curious what other guys look for if they use mapping services to scout areas before being able to physically get in there.

Ive currently been looking for sparsely treed areas with multiple drainages so i can try and glass more then i usually do, and assuming drainages hold water and therefore game?

am i on the right track or way off?

Thanks!
    What are you going to be hunting?

For arguments sake i will say i am hunting white tails in a pressured area and looking for an area that is about a 1-3km hike in without toad access, my dilema is if i find a spot i think looks good "some cover and water" am i gunna hike 3+ km in one way and see no wildlife.... dont get me wrong i like the hike, and the exploration, but if i only get three- four days of solid hunting and i hike in i'd like to know there might be something there

cant seem to find too much regarding what elevation deer hang about at around sept-oct as that is likely when i will be able to get away the most. Currently been looking at elevations around 1000 - 1600 m mark,is this too high for white tails?
    ~Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WesHarm View Post
    For arguments sake i will say i am hunting white tails in a pressured area and looking for an area that is about a 1-3km hike in without toad access, my dilema is if i find a spot i think looks good "some cover and water" am i gunna hike 3+ km in one way and see no wildlife.... dont get me wrong i like the hike, and the exploration, but if i only get three- four days of solid hunting and i hike in i'd like to know there might be something there

cant seem to find too much regarding what elevation deer hang about at around sept-oct as that is likely when i will be able to get away the most. Currently been looking at elevations around 1000 - 1600 m mark,is this too high for white tails?
    That's what preseason scouting is for . You won't know until you go look.

I don't know much about white tails but I've always been told valleys with meadows and cover along the fringes is what to look for, although the more experienced white tail hunters can correct me. The weather will play a factor as well so don't get 100% set on one spot and think "this is where I should go no matter what" cuz if the snow is or isn't flying, they may be somewhere completely different.
    Last edited by Fella; 04-07-2017 at 04:23 PM.

WT avoid the steep stuff but don't ignore the bottom of a large drainage or big platues. Lower elevation for the most part don't ignore large mid elevation platues. It's less about elvatation more about terrain the are built to sprint not jump up and down hill like a mule deer. Often hang around river drainages and lakes.

They like the thick stuff and high pressure areas they don't like coming out in the open to feed in daylight hours. Look for areas where thick and semi open timber meet. They are lazy and take the path of least resistance between feed, water, and bedding areas. Anything that makes travel easy for WT cattle guard fences, old grown in roads, ravines and ridges.

For the most part when I hunt WT I am looking for the stupid places everyone drives by or use water as a boundary. Some of my best WT spots are short walks off main or even paved roads/highways. Access lots of other areas with small boat or chest waders. They hide right under everyone's nose

I hunt them by ambush not hiking and for most places I hunt hiking is bad and binos are not too useful. It's just to thick odds are you will see nothing or the odd flag as they run

Awesome post Wild One! This will definitely help in my pursuit! I will try and get some pre-season in as well! And i now have a kayak and always had waders so will look into that water trick of yours!
    ~Wes

Bit or a rookie myself, however. I've mostly looked for transition areas to focus my attention on. Also, little pockets that are slightly inaccessible in otherwise accessible areas.

My limited knowledge of white tails is that their super cagey but tend to follow the same general daily routines. Best bet is to scout in July/August and once you find good sign, build a couple ground blinds so your ready for the fall. What MU are you trying to scout?

I think I'd have to disagree about whitetails avoiding the steep stuff, you won't find them as high as mule deer(they can be found in sheep country) but I've certainly seen and shot more than a few in some pretty rugged stuff. Especially if there is hunting pressure. That said I have found more on gentler(still a work out) slopes here in the Kootenays. They seem to inhabit a wide range of habitat.