Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose calf hunt

Moose calf hunt

Has anyone hunted calves before? During and after the rut, do the calves follow the Bulls in the background? Do they respond to calls? After the rut do they go with the Bulls into hiding or do they hang around below the snow line, any information will help. Hugh

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose calf hunt

Never hunted them but would assume they would be hanging around with the cows and not the bulls through their first winter.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Why hunt them?

Calves will stay with their cow till their weened and get pushed off by the cow usually thier second yr come fall especially the bull calfs .In all my moose hunting yrs I seldom see cow/calf pairs while hunting and anyone with a cow draw would be shooting the cow for the difference in meat alone.
    Calves will stay with their mom no matter what so no they wont respond to a call but the cow may.Ive called in cow moose with a calf once,spoted the cow from a high ridge and thought it was a bull.Went down and started calling and the cow came right to me with the calf in tow.
    After the rut and during the cows will be lower so valley bottoms ,when the breedings done the big bulls will stay lower also as the snow deepens.Ive seen groups of bull/cows/calves cruseing the lowland roads brousing on willow along the roads when the snow gets too deep up high

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Quote Originally Posted by takla1 View Post
    In all my moose hunting yrs I seldom see cow/calf pairs while hunting and anyone with a cow draw would be shooting the cow for the difference in meat alone.
    Sorry but I strongly disagree with the statement that an LEH holder of a cow/calf draw would shoot a cow based on there being more meat. The hunter is supposed to harvest the calf given that choice.

An ideal situation if at all possible is to have a youth or senior target the calf during the gos and the LEH holder harvest the cow at the same time if the draw lines up with the calf gos.

Calves will be with the cow through the winter and into the spring until the cow is ready to birth their next calf the following spring. Then they will ditch the calf!

Arrow Re: Moose calf hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Why hunt them?
    I'm more or less with Spy on this one.
    Given the sorry state of BC's moose populations overall, I have made the personal decision NOT to shoot any cows nor calves for the foreseeable future...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I have never shot a calf (or a cow) moose, but for conservation reasons selecting the calf is the better strategy, leave the breeding cow alone. Also, the meat just has to be so tender! hmm, I think I may be talking myself into it...

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Given the sorry state of BC's moose populations overall, I have made the personal decision NOT to shoot any cows nor calves for the foreseeable future...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Same here,never have applied for a cow/calf tag limited entry,seen enough moose shortages over the yrs,like to see them ladys running around.Always lots of bull moose tags available LEH if you apply for area's with good odds.
    My last 20 yrs after ANY Bull seasons got cut in our area's we always got a draw and put meat in the freezer

takla
    If it don't have a throttle,tits or a trigger I'm pretty much uninterested
    Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Cheers,
    Nog
    I agree I even stopped hunting moose because of the shortage, I think we should give them a chance and target other more plentiful species.