Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New firearm restrictions for Fraser Valley roads

New firearm restrictions for Fraser Valley roads

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0073-001092

The maps still have not been posted. Hopefully it is does not cover too much area.

Very sad morons ruin it for everybody.

Also wish they would have just started enforcing existing laws (careless use of a firearm with stiff penalties) ... slap a few 10k fines, take guns, issue gun bans... I think the problem would have went away quickly. This will just push the problem further up spurs, to the next valley over on into the timber where we hunt.

Glad hunting is exempt for now, but watch for the mission creep on this one.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-06-2017 at 07:42 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New firearm restrictions for Fraser Valley roads

I agree in hoping its not too far reaching in locations. Really a shame so many bozo's ruin it for everyone, guess i better get me a range membership.....
    ~Wes

No more little Baghdad out on Sylvester I guess. I wonder if this means LM hunters will not have to pay the Fraser Valley Special Area Permit anymore?
    I agree Caddis this will push the yayhoos further into the good hunting valleys and probably keep Mission SAR busier than ever when wasted and can't find the way out. Very unfortunate that once again the few make it worse for the many. Just a little enforcement could have shrunk this problem considerably.

Here is the link to the new shooting closures:

http://www.fvrd.ca/assets/government...otingAreas.pdf

It is pretty much what I thought. This is very bad news for me and caddisgirl. In bold because I am upset. Our base camp for bear hunting is just up a little spur off one of these main roads. On the weekends, there are a lot of target shooters camped along the main road. These target shooters will no doubt consolidate into the few little spur roads that exist, such as our bear camp. This is very very very bad news for us, our bear camp, our bear hunting and possibly our safety.

Will this add safety for anyone? I am not so sure. You push shooters 400M off the main road and they forget where they main road is and that hunters are in the timber, in the brush, etc. You will probably end up with less shots from the main road, but more shots towards said roads.

I also have every reason to suspect that the hunting exemption is only temporary, so they do not get vocal opposition from hunters and recreational shooters at the same time. Time will tell, but I am hedging my bets the exemption will only last a couple of years and this will spread beyond the Fraser Valley.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-06-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Wow! That's extensive!

Wow after looking at the maps that is a huge area

The slobs making a mess and the reckless idiots won't go away unless they patrol these areas. It is a loss to responsible users and hunters better be vocal or that is next

$50,000 and six months for a first offense.
    They better publish very detailed maps.

I am confused by the comments on the bottom of the maps. "people engaged in lawful trapping or hunting...." so if you are hunting you can shoot? and if you are not.. you cannot?
    Last edited by hoochie; 04-06-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

holy crap...so much for an after work trip to sight in the rifle

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    $50,000 and six months for a first offense.
    They better publish very detailed maps.

I am confused by the comments on the bottom of the maps. "people engaged in lawful trapping or hunting...." so if you are hunting you can shoot? and if you are not.. you cannot?
    That is correct. If you are shooting at an animal, you're good to go but you are not allowed to target shoot. That said, I highly doubt the exemption will last very long, maybe a year or two. Restrictions like this are often a mission-creep and staggering them reduces push-pack... very similar to how they chip away other freedoms, including firearms ownership.

I don't target shoot near roads, but this policy has certainly ruined my best bear camp as it will be only of the only places left for the weekend shooters to camp out.

I agree on the huge fine or possible jail sentance with existing laws rather than new blanket policies like this. If they would have enforced the existing laws once or twice, I believe this would have been enough deterrant that we would not need to make restrictive policies like this which likely won't even add safety. It just moves the trash into the spurs, more bullets going towards the main road rather than away from it, and a bunch of idiots that will now think 400M is the maximum effective range of a high caliber FMJ.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-06-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Nice, 400m off those roads will put you into the trees for the most part, they may as well just call them no shooting areas, hope shooting tvs ans leaving your garbage was worth it for everyone that ****ed the rest of us over. Now I either have to join a club or go further out.