Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Caribou, Canfor and Liberals

Mountain Caribou, Canfor and Liberals

I'm not conversant enough with the ins and outs of this to make an educated statement, but on the surface it looks bad - Liberals allow Canfor to log habitat that's important to mountain caribou *and* Canfor contributes a bucket load of cash to the Liberals. Bad optics and probably bad practice (I know it's bad optics, but I don't know if I have enough information to really give it the thumbs down).

Also, I know that this is coming from DeSmog, and some people question it's perspective. Again, I don't have enough information to judge.

Anyway, here's the link:

https://www.desmog.ca/2017/04/03/b-c...aribou-habitat

I'm interested in comments, especially from people who understand the issues more deeply than I do.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

2. Site Sponsor

Thumbs down Re: Mountain Caribou, Canfor and Liberals

KeRist!! Just WTF are they thinking?
    Maybe it simply is they want to piss everyone that likes Nature, Wildlife etc off to the point of self annihilation??
    They obviously have zero understanding of the ramifications if SARA steps up to bat!
    Distinct likelihood of that with this type of behavior...

Bizarre move!

Sheesh!
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 04-04-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: Mountain Caribou, Canfor and Liberals

None of it is designated critical caribou habitat. It is local residents stealing a page from enviros capitalizing on caribou for their NiMby designs. Many of the group are hypocrites being involved in forest industry for years and lifetimes. Same as your Bear tourism crowd they have commercial tourism operations. It is hard for individuals not to be self interested at their core just hiding behind a cause.The areas in question are in no way remote and unspoiled the planned blocks are adjacent to old blocks...it already has been logged years ago!!!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

At least our license fees are going back into habitat and wildlife. Government allows industry to destroy, we pay to repair. Sounds like a good deal.

"In 2011, the government amended the Revelstoke land us plan to allow timber companies to log a minimum of 6,000 hectares of old-growth forests to compensate for what they had lost to protection of caribou. Eventually, the recommended 34,000 hectares of provincially protected habitat that scientists deemed necessary to maintain and recover imperiled caribou declined to less than 4,000 hectares."

http://bctvkootenays.com/2017/01/20/ngos-outraged-as-bc-government-admits-culling-of-wolves-is-inhumane-yet-considers-cull-expansion/

http://sierraclub.bc.ca/ngos-outrage...ull-expansion/

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017...pose-expand-it
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

That may very well be true, but how long does it take for a forest to mature and be suitable Caribou habitat?

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    it already has been logged years ago!!!

It isn't very well may be true it is true...it been logged already. The infamous big bertha slash that so many tourist use the logging Rd to access the trophy meadows.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I wasn't attempting to question the validity of your claim. Regardless, it's a fact that a contributing factor to the decline of mountain caribou is a decline in habitat.

It isn't very well may be true it is true...it been logged already. The infamous big bertha slash that so many tourist use the logging Rd to access the trophy meadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    That may very well be true, but how long does it take for a forest to mature and be suitable Caribou habitat?
    if you buy into global warming it may never be suitable again. The timber in question is dead pine leading..spruce balsam higher up with 50% balsam dead due to beetle...the balsam beetle attacks about 10% of stand yearly and hits 1% of spruce. Last I looked blowdown spruce balsam is not exactly good winter range for caribou. Succession stages are a real thing!

Is logging it, or selective logging the solution? Solutions in general?

if you buy into global warming it may never be suitable again. The timber in question is dead pine leading..spruce balsam higher up with 50% balsam dead due to beetle...the balsam beetle attacks about 10% of stand yearly and hits 1% of spruce. Last I looked blowdown spruce balsam is not exactly good winter range for caribou. Succession stages are a real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    I'm not conversant enough with the ins and outs of this to make an educated statement, but on the surface it looks bad - Liberals allow Canfor to log habitat that's important to mountain caribou *and* Canfor contributes a bucket load of cash to the Liberals.
    Interesting. The article keyed on donations by Canfor and COFI to the Libs, but ignored donations to the NDP.

I wonder why? Wouldn't be a politically motivated, selectively chosen analysis, would it?

CANFOR CORP 2011/04/20 $50,000.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANFOR CORP 2011/08/19 $5,060.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANFOR CORP 2011/11/04 $1,185.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/06/19 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/10/01 $3,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/11/19 $10,000.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/11/28 $5,000.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/11 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/17 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/18 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/18 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/19 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/19 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/20 $500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/28 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/28 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2012/12/31 $2,500.00 2 DON KAYNE PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2015/02/19 $400.00 2 DAVID CALABRIGO PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2015/04/02 $600.00 2 DAVID CALABRIGO PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    CANADIAN FOREST PRODUCTS LTD 2015/11/04 $2,500.00 2 DAVID CALABRIGO PATRICK ELLIOT BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP

COUNCIL OF FOREST INDUSTRIES 2012/05/29 $300.00 2 JAMES GORMAN DOUGLAS ROUTLEDGE BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    COUNCIL OF FOREST INDUSTRIES 2012/09/27 $1,185.00 2 JAMES GORMAN DOUGLAS ROUTLEDGE BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    COUNCIL OF FOREST INDUSTRIES 2012/11/16 $10,000.00 2 JAMES GORMAN DOUGLAS ROUTLEDGE BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    COUNCIL OF FOREST INDUSTRIES 2013/02/07 $2,500.00 5 JOHN ALLAN DOUGLAS ROUTLEDGE BC NDP POLITICAL PARTY BC NDP
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !