Thread: Fishing guides

Fishing guides

Curiosity asks me what's the deal with fishing guides. I keep hearing about illegal guides...if you are a licensed fishing guide, can you take clients to any little mountain lake to catch fish, or are you stuck to one area? Anyone know how that works?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing guides

I might be wrong but I am pretry sure they are restricted to where they can guide if it is set waters or area I don't know

First you need a guiding licence then you have to have an approved angling guide operating plan, AGOP, it includes all the lakes/bodies of water you plan to fish and how many angler days (people fishing) you plan on each body of water. This all has to be done pre season and approved by the gov. Its pretty simple and you can have lots of lakes on the AGOP, mine includes many lakes most if which I never make it to but included them just in case.

Edit- Each lake/body of water is selected individually and specific number of days planned there. I have over a dozen listed but only fished one this winter. Next winter the adventures start.
    Last edited by Firstblood; 04-04-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    First you need a guiding licence then you have to have an approved angling guide operating plan, AGOP, it includes all the lakes/bodies of water you plan to fish and how many angler days (people fishing) you plan on each body of water. This all has to be done pre season and approved by the gov. Its pretty simple and you can have lots of lakes on the AGOP, mine includes many lakes most if which I never make it to but included them just in case.
    cool! Thanks for the info. Sounds like a hell of a job!

I didn't know there was such a thing for lakes? [ I live near the ocean and don't do much / any lake fishing ]

Yes there is - Fresh Water guides have areas to guide in - Like Hunting guides - RJ

Firstblood hit the nail on the head. Lots of spots in a territory that you never see
    bugle em up! knock em down

its not hard to get the legal side done... The marketing of your outfit is the harder part especially with Fresh water... Salt water is reasonably easy by comparison... if you are in an accessible area for tourists lots of guys go down to the dock. But people wanting to do the freshwater thing you have to " go and get them" all of them.. and that customer will be looking at lodges and big name stuff well before they find the smaller guy....

On that topic anyone know a good budget fishing guide company that would be good for beginners? Salt or fresh water would be cool, just wana possibly get the wife into some fish, but dont wana spend huge bucks for her first non-inner city fishing experience!
    ~Wes