Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb question about tags

Newb question about tags

Hi all,
    long time lurker, first time poster so sorry about the dumb question:
    I have been hunting small game for a while, but this year I am ready to get a deer tag. I won't be able to take more than one (small apartment, small freezer etc) so I just want one tag.
    The areas I am familiar with are 2-6, 2-11, 2-18 (mule deer only) and 3-15, 3-32, 3-33 (easier for white tail). Can only do one day trips.
    What tag should I get, and where am I more likely to succeed as a deer newb?
    Any help much appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newb question about tags

Get both to cover your arse and hit the ground running. Carry max tags for options. You never know when you will bump into a secondary target species and if you do find one in your scope, that tag price was not even a thought

One of each deer.
    But don't forget with the new online system they added grouse and rabbit to the tag system.
    Dont forget your grouse tags.
    Good luck.
    If I could only get one deer tag it would be mule deer.

Get both for sure. I only had a mule tag last year and saw an nice white tail that I couldn't go after.

Worst case scenario is you consider your "wasted tag" a donation to wildlife conservation in BC.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    get both to cover your arse and hit the ground running. Carry max tags for options. You never know when you will bump into a secondary target species and if you do find one in your scope, that tag price was not even a thought
    x2...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey66 View Post
    Can only do one day trips.
    There just aren't places you can drive to in a day from the LML where you won't be bumping up against a bunch of other hunters and where there are still plentiful deer. Had you thought about mid-island? Lots more deer and less competition. It can can be done in a day if you take the late ferry the night before and nap in the car until dawn when the deer come out .

last season on 2 separate 1 day trips, we were successful with mule deer, and missed opportunities with some white tail. Went from Abby to kamloops and back; dropped off deer to butcher in Chilliwack, and was back well before dinner time.
    Get your scouting done in the summer... learn where you are going to go. Plan for extra time to get out if you have a deer.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    One of each deer.
    But don't forget with the new online system they added grouse and rabbit to the tag system.
    Dont forget your grouse tags.
    Not eligible for grouse tags this year since I failed to tag out last season.
    Good advice though about getting tags for both deer species, at $15 each I guess I was over thinking it. Best be prepared.
    One day trips are a bit of a stretch but I don't mind if I come up empty. I just like being out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey66 View Post
    Not eligible for grouse tags this year since I failed to tag out last season.
    Good advice though about getting tags for both deer species, at $15 each I guess I was over thinking it. Best be prepared.
    One day trips are a bit of a stretch but I don't mind if I come up empty. I just like being out there.

What do do you mean don't qualify because you didn't tag out last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigd74 View Post
    What do do you mean don't qualify because you didn't tag out last year?
    are you hearing crickets too?
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts