Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best/Most durable arrow setup for stump shooting w/compound

Best/Most durable arrow setup for stump shooting w/compound

I've been eyeing compound bows for a while and finally picked up a Bear Cruzer the other day (Wholesale Sports sale: $270 + 6 gold tip arrows free, not advertised in store but they'll honour the online price). I was wondering what people use for general woods walking plinking at random clumps and stumps. I'm not there yet, but I'm thinking ahead.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best/Most durable arrow setup for stump shooting w/compound

Hmmm wouldn't recommend that. Why not set up a target in the woods and approach it from different angles for practice.

Any carbon arrow won't like being shot into a tree and removed process repeated. Dangers here are hairline cracks that you can not see but if you don't check your arrow before you shoot and it breaks you are going to have a very bad day..

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Hmmm wouldn't recommend that. Why not set up a target in the woods and approach it from different angles for practice.

Any carbon arrow won't like being shot into a tree and removed process repeated. Dangers here are hairline cracks that you can not see but if you don't check your arrow before you shoot and it breaks you are going to have a very bad day..
    this x2!! You need to buy a target,

buy a recurve and shoot all the stumps you want!

Yikes. This is how you send half a shaft through your wrist.

Thanks guys. I didn't realize you couldn't play with compounds and carbon fibre the way you can with a good old stick and string. Makes sense though.

You can it just gets expensive breaking arrows lol

If you are shooting a light draw weight compound you could but like mentioned carful with carbon arrows.

I have shot lots of small game with my compound and it abuses arrows. Yes inspect your arrow and flex test but often I can reuse my arrow. Over the years my hunting compounds have be from 65-95 lbs draw.

Would not recommend stump shooting but carbons can take some abuse just take the time to inspect and flex test. They can splinter and dangerous if they do but not a huge problem

Buy a yellow jacket field point target. Takes arrows better then stumps.

I have stump shot (rotten stumps or logs on the ground, not fresh ones) with Judo points on carbon arrows with 65# modern compounds. The Goldtip Hunter series arrows are quite tough, as are judo points as long as you stay away from rocks or green wood. Certainly check your shafts after each shot, and expect some arrow and Judo point mortality if you practice in the woods. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
    I have stump shot (rotten stumps or logs on the ground, not fresh ones) with Judo points on carbon arrows with 65# modern compounds. The Goldtip Hunter series arrows are quite tough, as are judo points as long as you stay away from rocks or green wood. Certainly check your shafts after each shot, and expect some arrow and Judo point mortality if you practice in the woods. Good luck!
    I agree with ^. ONLY shoot rotten rotten old stumps or spend lots of time digging them out of fresh wood.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."