Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain First Aid Kits

Mountain First Aid Kits

It's a subject many hunters really never think about until something serious happens. Even the less serious cuts can turn into a trip destroying infection.
    Now with bear season getting into full swing and sheep season just around the corner I think it's important to educate possible new hunters of items to pack into the mountains.
    What do many of you take with you. Maybe we have Dr's, nurses or Paramedics on CGN that could offer advice on what they recommend taking??
    For me, it really depends on the trip, Pack in trips, everything is thinned out down to the nessessities. Down to triple antibiotic ointment, Steri strips, pressure bandages, Kwick Clot, second skin, bandaides(waterproof ones and regular), alchohol strips. All packed in a water proof container.
    There's a few other items but it's basics.
    Will be nice to see what everyone else takes with them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mountain First Aid Kits

You should always include a few days supply of any medications you take on a daily basis. Never know when an emergency will happen and some meds have serious side effects if suddenly stopped.

Some stuff to add to your kit: Painkillers (Tylenol/Advil), gauze, tape, suture kit plus knowledge of how to, tensor bandage, cloth to fold into an arm sling, tourniquet, latex/non-latex gloves, reflective foil blanket.
    Last edited by dak0ta; 04-01-2017 at 09:42 AM.

can you point out where a person can buy a suture kit in Canada? I couldn't find any stores that would sell them

I always have a large first aid kit in camp with everything from epipens to bandaids to aspirin and everything in between. On me I carry a small kit which weighs maybe 100g that has band aids, medical tape, disinfectant wipes and painkillers. I'm thinking about adding an aed to the camp kit. It's a little bit pricey but if it's ever needed it will be worth its weight in gold.

To anyone who doesn't think you need a first aid kit you are crazy, you may never need it but someone else may or something unpredictable can happen.

I carry two tampons. Yes, I'm serious. I'm thinking bullet wounds. Think about what they were designed to do. Also duct tape, a glad sandwich bag for punctures and chest wounds and ibuprofin. The whole kit fits in the sandwich bag. Same gear I carried on patrol in the military

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    I carry two tampons. Yes, I'm serious. I'm thinking bullet wounds. Think about what they were designed to do. Also duct tape, a glad sandwich bag for punctures and chest wounds and ibuprofin. The whole kit fits in the sandwich bag. Same gear I carried on patrol in the military
    Helping with GSW trauma is exactly what tampons were originally invented for! Like so many other things, they were later re purposed into the tampon known today as a feminine hygiene product.

Excellent advice thus far folks!

As for me, many times I bring nothing but my wits and like it that way. If you learn your stuff well, you may well be surprised what one can do with items found in nature and knowledge. Not advocating this for others necessarily, yet many times I have brought nada specifically for first aid.

Mine is very basic. Contains enough items to keep minor issues from becoming big ones. I do allot of backpack hunting by myself and this stuff will keep in in the bush and hunting if I have minor issue. This is all I carry

3 anticeptic wipes
    Half dozen steri strips
    A piece of bandaid that can be cut
    Small burn/blister kit
    A couple Pepto pills, alieve, tylonol.
    One US battle dressing. "If I need to use this I'm heading out. These are great leak stoppers if you ever get a major bleed and need to still be able to move"
    Most important item is my SPOT.

Anything needed beyond this can be fashioned from the gear I carry.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 03-31-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    Both our vehicles and my pack have sanitary napkins in them, and it's not for the wife's hygiene.
    A number of years ago I was playing around at the cabin with my new axe and proceeded to partially remove a finger. My neighbour, a Fireman passed me a "gauze" bandage and his Son drove me to Emergency for repairs. The Nurse takes the bandage off and says "Mr. Glove, I can tell that you are a married man, know how?" I said "Because I have a wedding band on?" and she replied "No, because you came here with a sanitary napkin around your finger."
    They've come in handy on numerous occasions.

Blue Loctite Instant Adhesive.
    Works for wounds and boots.
    I keep it double bagged in zip lock sandwich bags in case the cap leaks or it is punctured but have never had a problem.
    Once it dries you really have to pick at it to get it off your skin or use nail Polish remover.