Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mountain First Aid Kits

Re: Mountain First Aid Kits

The most important "item" in my first aid kit is my training.
    I have been a Level 2 attendant for over 20 years, and it would drive me crazy to be in a medical situation and not know what to do.
    The basic Level 1 course (8 hours) is not very extensive, but if taken seriously, and the person takes the time to study the book, keep it and re-read it a few times a year, it's actually a decent way to gain some basic knowledge. Could be the best $100 ever spent.
    When you take the course, tell them you are interested in taking a Level 2 or 3, and ask if you can drop by occasionally and sit in on courses on a day that is spent practicing scenarios. It's surprising how much you can learn just from being the "patient" and getting worked on by students. Do that and you'll probably upgrade from a Level 1.
    We take two days a year at work where first aid scenarios are covered and practiced. Me and up to 5 Level 1 attendants. Doing that helps both me and them immensely!
    Unless you're a paramedic and are using your knowledge every day, it's amazing how much one forgets almost right after taking a course...
    As an example, a tourniquet was mentioned. If used correctly, it can save a life. If used incorrectly it can cause the loss of a limb, or much worse. Tools are important, but knowing how to use those tools is more important!

Just my 2 pennies.....

Duct tape, leuko tape, super glue, tweezers, some pain killers, and some polysporin is what I carry. Game bags can act as a gauze if needed.

I always have a portable pocket mask and medical gloves in my pack along with basic tape, and some gauze. You never know where you may here a call for help from. Tampons are also always in my kit, mainly because I use them for scents (no plastic 100% cotton). In camp, my larger kit is always there which includes saline eye rinse, burn and wound care, a heavier cpr mask and O.P.A's, but that is beacuase it is the same kit that I use for everything.
    Last edited by Hose Dragger; 04-02-2017 at 06:17 PM.

tourniquets and quickclot definitely require training to use. I've been trained with both and although I do carry a tourniquet, even if I had access to quickclot I doubt Id carry it. its some nasty shit and I do a lot of solo hunting and don't think I could properly use it on myself. for those of you who are unaware what it is. its a caustic powder that reacts to moisture. meant to pour into wounds react to the blood and cauterize the area. A major problem with that is if your hands are wet or bloody its going to react on your fingers or anywhere else it touches. A better idea for most would be buying compression bandages.

Compression pad, triangle bandage and Sam splint, couple safety pins, Bandaids, some gauze, IBU, alcohol wipes, Tenacious tape, sewing needle and some dental floss. Old Level 3 GCS sheet for monitoring a patient after treatment.

Likely a couple more items that I'm missing.

Oh, I forgot something. Most people don't realize that Listerine wasn't originally mouthwash. It was made as a surgical antiseptic. I always keep a couple of bottles around for emergencies.