Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain First Aid Kits

Re: Mountain First Aid Kits

I used to have a top level IFA ticket and with all that gruesome training and treating a couple real world bordering on gruesome injuries, i figure the most important thing in a small kit is a drainage dressing. Which, come to think of it isn't much more than a sanitary napkin with long ties on it so you can cinch it up tight to get enough pressure to stop a bleeder. I follow the old loggers MO and carry one inside my fallers hardhat.

I pack an outdated IFA kit in the truck and a cigarette pack sized kit in my pack that my wife bought for me somewhere. Its kinda cheezy, but it does have a drainage dressing In the past I've just made a little kit in a zip lock by either raiding a bigger kit (a no-no) or buying a few things including a d dressing from a first aid supply place.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSix View Post
    can you point out where a person can buy a suture kit in Canada? I couldn't find any stores that would sell them
    I'll get back to you on that.

Great topic, 44"!

For backpack hunts, my partners have always had kits so I never
    bothered packing one. It's time to make sure my regular daypack has one and also my trip pack.

One thing I do carry is a multitude of painkillers including hydomorph.

My eyes are open and I have my pen ready

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Iv always packed the basics, pain killers and bandaids. After stabbing my havalon threw my shin while skinning a goat last fall, and not taking the time to care for it (besides kept it clean but needed stitches) the infection after I got home was worse then the wound itself. You can have all the good stuff on hand, but knowing when to call it a hunt and head to the doctor ( something we never want to consider) was a learning factor for me in outback first aid. To me it looked not bad, after 5 days when I finally flew home, was a different story.

I used to pack a pretty nice kit on my sailboat. Never had a major emergency - thank heavens.

Instead of a suture kit - get a stapler. No real training needed.

I like the steri strip idea - I'll be adding those and some tampons/pads to my kit!

https://www.amazon.ca/Surgical-Dispo...rgical+stapler

Bandaids and polysporin, as well as an ab pad and a wrap to make a sling...like the tampon idea..

TOURNIQUET, TOURNIQUET, TOURNIQUET!

As other have mentioned, Celox/QuikClot, Israeli Bandage, and pressure bandages.

With all of these things combined, even with little training and a lot of common sense... Might save your life.

Anyone have any thoughts on good providers of first aid courses? It is one thing to have all the kit but another to have the skill set to use it. I have some basic knowledge but have always felt that it would be time well spent improving on this.

Nowadays Level 1 First Aid for the workplace is a joke. The second day course which I always take is the Transport Endorsement which I've found to be more beneficial. It teaches skills needed for applying Spine, clearing the airway and packaging the patient on a spine board as well as dealing with bleeds.
    Pretty much any town with strong Industrial activity should have course providers.
    If you have the time Level 3 first aid qualifies you to be an on-site medic. However it's about a three week course.

Hmmm 38 years as a Paramedic for Province of BC...however there are ALS" on this site far more qualified than I.
    However if no one steps forward I will explain my pack..what..why..
    I would recomend 2 ASA x 81 MG each..for common signs of a heart attack..with no history of allergies to ASA..cautions with bleeding disorders..however crush g chest pain, nausea, shortness of breath, dizzy, pale, sweating..
    Cardiac issues are far more prevent than GSW"...
    Most common problem I was dispatched for with hunters..cardiac events..and severe lacerations, knife penetrations"..
    Good topic.
    Steven