Thread: Wolves

Wolves

I was looking at the Region 5 synopsis, and 5-1/5-2 have no bag limit on wolves. What's the consensus on hunting wolves? Never tried predator hunting before. Caliber choices and ranges taken?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolves

Any centre fire rifle really. Something like a 243 is ideal. I've taken a few at 300+ yards and a few at under 40. They are very weary and tend to stay back and hide if they know you are around.....most of the time.

Bit of a crap shoot and involves quite a bit of luck. As mentioned in the previous post they are quite elusive. However, We have been seeing more and more during the daylight hours the last few years. It seems as though they are getting braver. They will respond to howling most of the time if they are in the area so practice your werewolf cry. .223, .243, 300 winmag... dead is dead but I wouldn't go lighter than a .223. Any excuse to get out in the bush is a good one

There are a few great threads on wolf and predator hunting.. try a search for them.
    As far as calibre and bullet, many variables. If you want to keep the hide mostly intact, then a smaller calibre like. 223, .243 would be good with appropriate bullet selection. If you just want to flatten them then any medium/large calibre will do, 155mm howitzer is probably the upper limit.
    Also need to consider the terrain you're hunting an hunting method you use, which will affect shot distance, etc.
    The closest I've been to one was having a wolf answer back and come in to moose calls, went silent around 300 yards away at the edge of the timber, never got eyes on, but was more looking for deer and moose so didn't stick around long.

for sure..get out there and kill some wolves!!
    if i could only hunt 1 animal for the rest of my life it would be wolves
    "Winter is coming"- Ned stark

Right on get out there!! Find tracks/ sign, get a good vantage point and try howling, Iv had the most luck getting the wolves to come into howling vs rabbit stress calls etc... shot 3 now, this way with my 300winmag, they are tough SOBs haha, best of luck, wolf hunting is great because it's also pre season scouting!!
    -Backwoods