Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnat pass caribou/moose 6-22

Gnat pass caribou/moose 6-22

Planning a trip up to the gnat pass area with moose/caribou as the main targets. Partner will apply for grizz but this is mostly if we cross paths with the right bear. Plan is to hunt with a combo of atv/hiking. Have only drove through this area in the past so outside of maps and a little info I have from others we will really be winging it. For timing we are thinking mid Sept

Any info would be nice but in the end we will burn boot leather on whatever catches our eye once we get up there lol. I have heard there is pockets of goats/sheep as well not main goal but will carry tags

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gnat pass caribou/moose 6-22

Remember 1400 m atv elevation restriction. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Remember 1400 m atv elevation restriction. Good luck!
    Yup that is where legs start getting sore and the ? How far we are willing to pack a moose out comes in lol

Guess either no one hunts here or no one is willing to speak lol

Will give it a go either way roam the mountains and cross my fingers

There are guys that hunt up there but tend to keep it quiet. Is the elevation restriction for moose as well? That whole valley is filled with willow, i have certainly seen moose in the lower section.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    There are guys that hunt up there but tend to keep it quiet. Is the elevation restriction for moose as well? That whole valley is filled with willow, i have certainly seen moose in the lower section.
    Motor vehical restriction for above 1400m assume to protect alpine

Theres caribou on the hills on both sides of the highway but I don't think that's the rut areas so if you go too late in September they may have booked it for the rut grounds. Not sure but that's my impression.

If you go up there bring some ear muffs! Some of the grumpiest hunters I have ever met up there moaning about how there is no moose or caribou spotted for 2 weeks. I spotted 6 cows and 2 bulls in about 15 min of being there, one nice one, about 55"+ but a good 3 kms away. If I had the time I would have humped in there and started calling it back as close as I could get it. Beautiful country up there. Good luck
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Good Old Outdoors View Post
    If you go up there bring some ear muffs! Some of the grumpiest hunters I have ever met up there moaning about how there is no moose or caribou spotted for 2 weeks. I spotted 6 cows and 2 bulls in about 15 min of being there, one nice one, about 55"+ but a good 3 kms away. If I had the time I would have humped in there and started calling it back as close as I could get it. Beautiful country up there. Good luck
    I will be doing my best to hide from other hunters so hopefully I stay out of moaning range lol

Yeah we decided to head about 200 yards back from them and sit on a quiet knoll away from them. Lots of Ptarmigan up there. I bet if you hit the rides to the west of the main "spotting rock" you might have better luck spotting moose that haven't been blown out as much
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem