Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Hunting! dose anyone have any tips, tricks or areas for a newbie to focus?

Turkey Hunting! dose anyone have any tips, tricks or areas for a newbie to focus?

hello everyone!
    Im looking for any ideas on where to begin on a spring turkey hunt! i'm new to it but i have been spending a lot of time putting in research about turkeys lately and want to know if anyone is willing to share input with me! i am planning on spending a week or more in camp hunting, i live in region 8 but i am willing to travel to region 4 as well, any tips or tricks to get me started would be super helpful.

thanks everyone and have a great 2017 season!!!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey Hunting! dose anyone have any tips, tricks or areas for a newbie to focus?

Tons of turkeys in 8, no reason to go to 4

Re: Turkey Hunting! dose anyone have any tips, tricks or areas for a newbie to focus?

Tons of turkeys in 4, no reason to go to 8

Quote Originally Posted by tuner View Post
    Tons of turkeys in 4, no reason to go to 8
    LOL true but lives in 8

Unless Jelvis takes up Jell-Zeroing Turkey honey holes, it is very unlikely that anyone is going to come through and post up a hotspot for Turkey in BC... Not that such a thing even exists!
    Turkey can fly a long ways and move around a lot. After the winter flocks disperse, they can be hard to find. In my experience with BC Turkey there are vast swaths of terrain that appear to be great Turkey habitat yet no sign of Turkeys/actual Turkeys about at all. Then there'll be a small area that is just ripe with tons of Turkey activity! An area that had plenty one day will have none the next and vice versa. So, not even the Great Jelviki hissef can lay down that knowledge unilaterally!

As per a reason for a Region 8 Hunter to go to Region 4 or a Region 4 Hunter to go to 8? I can think of a great one. The BC bag limit on Turkey currently stands at one per region per season. So if that Hunter has a bird in that season in their own region and has the necessary resources and inclination to do so - A trip is warranted to try out some different country for a next bird!

Happy Hunting and Best to all
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 04-01-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Sound more and more like elk hunting. Game hanging out on private land and seemingly lots of opposition.

Not it that I blame anyone, I don't suggest to the world where to hunt.

Some Turkeys around here, If you make it this way I can send you in the right direction.

Cheers
    Palmer

I'm another newbie interested in turkey hunting. From what I've heard, it's pretty important to go at the beginning of the season because it becomes much harder in May, does that sound about right? Also, in terms of spots, the biggest struggle is finding huntable land. A lot of the prime turkey hunting land is private property where getting permission is difficult. That's what I'm struggling with right now, I know the general areas that are supposed to be good for Turkey (West Creston, Yahk, Christina Lake) but as a newbie I just can't figure out actual land that I can hunt on
    Hoping to go out with some buddies leaving LML Easter Sunday after they finish church and hunt till the 19th.

thanks everyone, my first trip out and i was able to call in 2 toms and saw one more (who was to fast for me as i had to get out of my truck lol), the first one was working in my way slowly and he came to what sounded like sixteyish yards.. then saw another hunter and spooked down into the valley bottom... still a cool experience! the second one came into me running and by the time i got to a tree to sit under had caught a glimpse of me and turned tail feather and was gone as fast as it came in... anyways all of this happened before 11am and i was wondering what i could do to get on birds in the afternoon? as nothing i seemed to try worked. Thanks again Everyone!

I personally haven't had success in the afternoon, my turkey hunting is usually done by 1030-11. However a friend of mine does quite well in the pm, so it can happen.

Congrats on getting a few birds talking, to me that is the excitement of turkey hunting.
    KCCO