Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 4х4 vehicle

Re: 4х4 vehicle

I don't consider any jeep built built after 2001 to be a capable jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Try out a rubicon, you'll change your mind.

It's a quandary looking for a true SUV. Jeep started the Utility, that what they called it,thing in '49, and got serious with 4 wheel drive and low range in '50 or '51. What we have now are tall station wagons based on a sedan platform with all wheel drive, not that there is any thing wrong with that. But when you look at our backroads in BC with their Squamish culverts, they're simplify not built for that. That leaves you with the Wrangler 4 door if you want to take your family with you.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 04-06-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: grammer

Maybe Ill try the a Rubicon next. I have only tried the 4 cyl in the new wranglers. but I can tell you the new cherokee and grand cherokee dont do a thing for me... I wouldnt take them anywhere i wouldnt take a civic. I ended up ripping all the trim off my grand cherokee and really bashing up the rockers. barely could make it through deactivations. broken cvs and driveshafts

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    It's a quandary looking for a true SUV. Jeep started the Utility, that what they called it,thing in '49, and got serious with 4 wheel drive and low range in '50 or '51. What we have now are tall station wagons based on a sedan platform with all wheel drive, not that there is any thing wrong with that. But when you look at our backroads in BC with their Squamish culverts, they're simplify not built for that. That leaves you with the Wrangler 4 door if you want to take your family with you.
    I got a 47 willys cj2a with a cj5 engine, (3.8 v6 Buick) drivetrain and axles, I love it.
    Im contiplating the purchase of an 07 and newer 2 door/ freedom top Wrangler , preferably a Rubicon if a reasonably priced one can be found, i missed out on one on the island, an 09/ rubicon for $13k.
    Last edited by tuner; 04-06-2017 at 03:50 PM.

i have been putting on the k on my 2010 FJ 6 speed and liking it they stopped making them 1014 and they are getting $$

I don't think the new Wranglers ever came with a 4 banger, just the 4litre out of the mini-van and 2012 the Pentastar 3.6. The 4litre wasn't too bad off road, good torque curve, but on the high way, it was overworked and suffered. BTW you can fit a Hemi in Wranglers, kits are available.

Lol sorry by new I meant mid 2000s. I haven't driven a jk yet. Cummins just released a diesel crate engine for the jeep that would be a cool swap. It's quite a bit lighter and more powerful than the 4bt. Not near a hemi but still cool. That concept wrangler SRT was pretty cool
    Last edited by Rotorwash; 04-06-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    You should try driving a new Cherokee . I think you might be quite pleasantly surprised at how capable and luxurious they are now.

I've put a lot of time in with an 2014 overland with the 5.7 decent to drive in the city but capable it was not. Trying to cross a small ditch pushed a bit on the bumper. Barely visible damage and it was an 8k repair bill. Driving though a large puddle in the road barely knee deep toasted the adjusting suspension. After that it would change ride height randomly, when the vehicle was off , at all hours of the night. Learned my lessons there. If I'm going anywhere that's off the pavement it will be in the old cherokee. Deactivations , washouts, trees over the road or fjording waist deep creeks. The xj handles it all with ease