Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back packing in alpine gear suggestion

Back packing in alpine gear suggestion

Hey all. This year I'm heading into the alpine for mulie bucks on a 3 day trip. I'm looking for glove and toque suggestions as well as how do you stay dry suggestions. I'll be staying in a tent and we probably won't light a fire because we will be out all day hiking. The area that time of year is usually very rainy. I find keeping my head and hands dry and warm is quite difficult. I have full rain gear but I still find that my toque and gloves get soaked quite fast. What have you had luck with? Thick wool toques or light weight merino toques? Water proof headgear? For gloves do you run several pairs that you swap out or have you found a way to run one pair for the whole day? Any help on staying dry or drying gear fast will be appreciated!
    thank you
    Lord let me come home bloody, not my own.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Back packing in alpine gear suggestion

Can't help you on the gloves because I'm in the same boat. As for head gear. I have had decent luck with my Rawhide hat and a touque under it if need be.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Just use a raincoat with a hood that has a drawstring so you can sinch it down around your face, I work in the rain all the time and it works for me, as for the gloves so many that claim they're waterproof ? well they aren't ! but any marigold type rubber gloves keep you dry but they sweat, we used a little heavier version of that for Halibut fishing and they held up pretty good but not the warmest come winter.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I feel you on the glove front and have dealt with that for years. method i use now is this, two pairs of gloves, one relatively light and easy to wring out. Whenever my hands are getting wet I am usually bushwacking/hiking/climbing. When I am working my hands they don't get cold. Wring them out whenever I get a chance and I am usually pretty good.

Second pair of gloves is heavier fill (cause my hands get cold when not in use), and I try to get something water resistant. They are stored in my pack until I am sitting down glassing or around camp. If I am sitting around then I am always under cover of a tent, a rock overhang or a tree so I am not getting as wet.

I take my wet lighter weight gloves into my synthetic sleeping bag at night, throw them down by my legs and they are dry come morning

I would take a lightweight Merino wool toque for sure

I use pure wool, $7 three fingure gloves. Wring out as needed. They can be wet and partially frozen and still keep your hands warm. Not fancy or sexy, but functional.

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
    I feel you on the glove front and have dealt with that for years. method i use now is this, two pairs of gloves, one relatively light and easy to wring out. Whenever my hands are getting wet I am usually bushwacking/hiking/climbing. When I am working my hands they don't get cold. Wring them out whenever I get a chance and I am usually pretty good.

Second pair of gloves is heavier fill (cause my hands get cold when not in use), and I try to get something water resistant. They are stored in my pack until I am sitting down glassing or around camp. If I am sitting around then I am always under cover of a tent, a rock overhang or a tree so I am not getting as wet.

I take my wet lighter weight gloves into my synthetic sleeping bag at night, throw them down by my legs and they are dry come morning
    I do this too. Im not really a fan of thick gloves, they just ruin your dexterity and take forever to dry out. Thin poly glove for getting wet and bushwacking and then a wool/leather palmed gloved for keeping dry, and that are just big enough to fit the thin poly ones underneath when needed.

As far as the hat goes, just cinch down the hood on my rain gear.

Wool and a rain hood as said...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    as for the gloves so many that claim they're waterproof ? well they aren't ! .
    Alpine stay dry gear for me has been Kuiu
    Chugach nx hooded jacket, Merino beany with baseball hat over. Light weight Merino Ultra gloves for dry weathe, and the nicest comfortable and (yes they are)waterproof gloves I own are the Yukon Pro. Had mine for 3 years now and they have never failed me and never had wet hands. Have used them hard as gloves are mean't to be used. Have been extremely durable. Literally beaten the piss out of them. Yet they are still in one piece and still waterproof. For really cold weather I have a set of NorthStars (waterproof), that have seen use down to minus -28 with no problem.

For work out in the rain I use rubber dipped knit gloves, not water proof but keep my hands warm enough in above freezing temp, my hands look like prunes after a full day.
    Another guy uses the same thing but puts black disposable gloves under his knit gloves to keep his hands dryer. It works well for him that way too.
    We use nitrile raven for the disposable gloves.