Thread: Western Mountaineering GWS vs. MF

Western Mountaineering GWS vs. MF

I've been researching sleeping bags for a while and think I have settled on the WM Apache bag. The only decision left is what shell material to get on the bag.

The options are Gore Windstopper or Microfiber. Do any of you guys have experience with/opinions on the pros and cons of each option?

Thanks, Sylus
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Western Mountaineering GWS vs. MF

I have used both wpb fabrics and various light non-wp shells on my bags since my first highend bag in 1968. My current winter bag, a custom ID made for me by Evan Jones in 2003, has a Pertex Endurance shell, superb, very costly and I now would not use this, as excellent as it is due to advances in shell materials during the past decade plus.

I would go with the microfiber, my next and probably last bag will be a WM Terralite and buy a Borah eVent bivy for uses outside my Hille tent or under a tarp. I prefer tarping in most situations and a good wpb bivy, silnylon tarp and comfy pads make the best camp for enjoying the bush....unless there are BUGS.

So, go with Microfiber, make sure the Apache is NOT too snug as this makes a good sleep impossible and I think that you will be very happy with it. WM offers a very light expander so you can get more shoulder room, crucial for me, if you wish.

IMO, WM and Valandre make the finest bags at present and are worth the cost when out there for extended periods in vile weather.

Re: Western Mountaineering GWS vs. MF

Thanks Dewey. Good tip on the Borah bivy, seems to be a fair bit cheaper than comparable event set ups.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt