Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Late Winter Feral Sheep Hunting

Re: Late Winter Feral Sheep Hunting

Canadian miles are longer than US miles
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

The locals are split, some definitely eat the sheep while others wouldn't hurt a mouse. Either way, not being a local is a major disadvantage. We kept it very discrete and as guests, had no problems at all. If I had no local connection I would just avoid proximity to private land and keep to myself.

I see that no camping is permitted, they have issue with a tent on crown land?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

They sure do browse the crap out of everything on the gulf islands. Looks like someone's been in there with a pruning saw. Glad someone can utilize them. Is there a trick to skinning them out? I was lead to believe that if the wool touches the meat at all it will spoil. They are dirty critters. I tried it once and found it pretty gamey, but others may prefer the flavour.

Uh oh... turns out I was correct. Sounds like the locals are not happy that you posted the video. To me, they should all should be culled and be done with. Shouldn't make any difference to the locals, but from what I hear, they are a squirrelly bunch. They live there for a reason.....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

They sure do seem like a bunch of qwacks.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

So looks like fun but can't find any rules for shooting feral sheep ? I have a friend that owns land there and he said same thing. Can you point me to the rules for feral sheep.

FUN Video ! Sure would be a HOOT to Bow-Arrow hunt those sheep ! RJ

I wonder if the sheep contribute to the tick and louse infestations. Gulf Island deer are riddled with them. Gives me the crawlies when I see how many can fall of a hanging deer.
    Need more cougars over there. Unfortunately when a predator does show up, as they due from time to time, many of the "new" locals have a fit.

But . . . the sheep have been there a long time. 30 years plus I've been hunting over there and things seem pretty stable. No shortage of deer . . . . . . and it's coon city.

Was just speaking with my friend about it. Apparently, the sheep were put on the island by a Vancouver Island butcher sometime in the late 1800's. As of right now, the populations of both sheep and deer are down based on his own observations. Didn't say much about coons....

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    the sheep have been there a long time. 30 years plus I've been hunting over there and things seem pretty stable. No shortage of deer . . . . . . and it's coon city.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.