Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are helicopters a complete no-no?

Why are helicopters a complete no-no?

Was thinking about this the other day and thought I'd ask your thoughts. You can fly a plane in to anywhere you can get to and just have to wait a bit before hunting. Why not helicopters?

Is it just one step too far in terms of making otherwise inaccessible areas accessible? After all, you only really need a small clearing...as opposed to a decent sized lake or landing field of some sort for planes. But if you had to wait long enough....

Saw Newberg's copter hunt - that's what made me think of it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Why are helicopters a complete no-no?

There was a lot of abuse of helicopters in the 70's and early 80's (shooting from machines etc.). I know a few guys who crewed back then who talked about being in a machine in a hover shooting animals after buzzing them and then long-lining them out (moose). It was particularly effective for goats and sheep up north.

It was mostly GO's that were responsible for most of the abuse. I see no valid reason why they should be legal again.
    -Just a simple minded guy with a longbow looking for fun.

it's to limit access, especially to the top of mountains.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I didn't know they were legal in the past in BC.
    The World is run by those that show up.

I believe they use them in the Yukon still. Saw a hunt vid from about 5 years ago where they were shuttled around in an eggbeater, plus helped them retrieve game from top of mountain.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    I believe they use them in the Yukon still. Saw a hunt vid from about 5 years ago where they were shuttled around in an eggbeater, plus helped them retrieve game from top of mountain.
    Not legal. Page 19 of the Yukon hunting regs.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/publication...gRegs16-17.pdf

Not Yukon, but NWT they are legal.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Iltasyuko View Post
    I didn't know they were legal in the past in BC.
    Everything was legal until the Crown banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Yes and it was a lot harder to hunt with bows and black powder. Guns are enough of an advantage, if I can't hump my sorry ass up a mountain to shoot an animal, it deserves the hard earned safety it's got. I've spent a lot of time working in a lot of remote places in a helicopter in BC. If we could get dropped off by them to go hunting (I have cursed this regulation at times, dropped off in some remote coastal subalpine area only to run into the biggest blacktails I've ever seen, all rutty and pumped up, if I had a....), but it would make the shrinking wild places in our province even smaller. Sometimes regulation is a good thing thing.
    Last edited by Treed; 03-23-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Edit- Im not saying regulations are bad and i oppose them but i take full advantage of any opportunities I have:

Im a commercial fixed wing and rotary wing pilot. I also have a float plane. We use it to hunt and fish the otherwise inaccessible areas and if I had the money id have a chopper and do the same thing. Hows it different from ATVs. And anyone that says they wouldn't and its better off without them is just lying.