Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Why are helicopters a complete no-no?

Re: Why are helicopters a complete no-no?

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post

As soon as my boots hit the ground after the flight in the hunting is as "fair chase" as anywhere else.
    Well....not really. Fly, spot and stalk is not what I would refer to as "fair chase" and unless you sit in the plane for 6 hours you won't be "hunting as soon as your boots hit the ground". #29 under "It's Unlawful" in the synopsis....page 15.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 03-24-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by finaddict View Post
    This is one of the rare occasions where I will be the one saying "we, the hunting public (both residents and GO's) need regulations to protect us from ourselves"
    Bingo, you are completely on the money. We are our own worst enemy.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

This has to be dumbest post I've seen yet.

It isn't just the access and retrieval that are issues. Aircraft used to spot game are really just another harassment that I don't think our animals should have to deal with. It seems unethical to harvest game in whatever manner possible just to guarantee success. If this is your mentality as a hunter, perhaps it would be better for you to start a ranch.
    Trouble is easy to find and hard to get rid of.
    -Solomon

Maybe we should allow drones to hunt that way everybody in favor of copter hunting wouldn't have to get out of their pickup!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    Maybe we should allow drones to hunt that way everybody in favor of copter hunting wouldn't have to get out of their pickup!!!
    As long as the drones were big enough to also hold at least two AR's so that they would eventually be able to down the animal as initial tests with heat seeking sights may be inaccurate. The drone would also have to be large enough to extract the animal from its location of demise.Set the drone up with a cleaning station while in the air and the guts and blood could be widely distributed for an even coating of fertilizer along the way. In fact, if we do this all correctly we could hunt from the comfort of our own living rooms and never have to leave the house. Ahhhhh The outdoors........ Nothing like the fresh air and nature while you slurp your Coors from the couch.........

We should just be able to order wild game on Amazon.ca and have it shipped to your location so you can shoot it at home!

It's too easy to spot game and land near it with a helicopter, so for up here and in this province I'm cool with the heli ban. That being said hunting pigs in the states from the door of a flying heli with a AR looks like unbelievable fun.

Quote Originally Posted by finaddict View Post
    As long as the drones were big enough to also hold at least two AR's so that they would eventually be able to down the animal as initial tests with heat seeking sights may be inaccurate. The drone would also have to be large enough to extract the animal from its location of demise.Set the drone up with a cleaning station while in the air and the guts and blood could be widely distributed for an even coating of fertilizer along the way. In fact, if we do this all correctly we could hunt from the comfort of our own living rooms and never have to leave the house. Ahhhhh The outdoors........ Nothing like the fresh air and nature while you slurp your Coors from the couch.........
    Lol no doubt...to use choppers or drones, it just ain't hunting any more....

Quote Originally Posted by 416 View Post
    I agree totally with no helicopters. That said, recently watched some u-tube video of what must have been tricked out bush planes that could almost give a chopper a run for its money with what they needed to land....very impressive! Between the resources we now have available, the face of hunting is changing. With real time electronics, google earth with all its overlays, gps, and other equipment its getting harder for animals to hide. What was once a topographical map study and careful planning for a hike in, can be largely done on the internet, downloading the info required on various devices, loading up quads/gear and going. We have all probably checked out areas with google earth and have made plans based on what we learn. At one time that was a considerable effort. Satellite phones and other communication gear just about ensure we can always connect with the out side if required. Even without being able to be dropped off exactly where want, the various services and technology that exist can get us just about anywhere we want in the back country.
    You raise a very interesting point. There are significant amounts of technology at our disposal that are all considered okay simply because we use them. Many of those techs, when they were first introduced, were likely opposed by the hunters of the time. It's interesting to consider the things that we consider "okay" by current standards...and where that line is drawn. "I'm all for XX, but anything else is just too far!" GPS overlays on Google Earth are big ones...remember when you actually had to get out and walk an area to understand what it was like? Or when guys wouldn't shoot a moose because they didn't have a quad to haul it 10 kms out of the bush on trails far too small for a truck?

I'd argue that quads probably have as detrimental an effect on hunting as helicopters do...maybe even moreso.

I definitely understand the comments here as to limiting access; however, many make it sound like you would get to land, hop out, shoot, and fly away. One assumes that the goat that you see when you get out won't be waiting for you until the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    This has to be dumbest post I've seen yet.
    But yet, an interesting discussion. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    It isn't just the access and retrieval that are issues. Aircraft used to spot game are really just another harassment that I don't think our animals should have to deal with. It seems unethical to harvest game in whatever manner possible just to guarantee success. If this is your mentality as a hunter, perhaps it would be better for you to start a ranch.
    I've never done a fly-in hunt...do the pilots do laps around the area that you're going to hunt to allow you to "spot game" before you land so that you know where to go? I'd assume probably not...and guessing heli pilots wouldn't either. I'm not defending or advocating for it...just thinking about the issue.