Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are helicopters a complete no-no?

Re: Why are helicopters a complete no-no?

Pretty hard to toe in on a goat peak with an ATV or Float plane.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Edit- Im not saying regulations are bad and i oppose them but i take full advantage of any opportunities I have:

Im a commercial fixed wing and rotary wing pilot. I also have a float plane. We use it to hunt and fish the otherwise inaccessible areas and if I had the money id have a chopper and do the same thing. Hows it different from ATVs. And anyone that says they wouldn't and its better off without them is just lying.
    You should be recognized for submitting perhaps the stupidest inflammatory comment ever on HBC. I wouldn't ever want to hike in to a remote area only to have someone land in a helicopter shortly after and I share this sentiment with many hunters; a fraternity to which you obviously don't belong. Areas are only remote (havens for game) because they are kept that way. There are enough hunters that can afford helicopter transport that there wouldn't be any of these pristine places left in very little time. Also, the reward is proportional to the effort. Landing on top of game would be like cheating at solitaire; how satisfying would that actually be? By the way, I have the means to hire a helicopter if I wanted and still choose to support their prohibition when it comes to hunting in our province.
    -Just another liar

You are also the guy 200 years ago (on foot) that probably bitched about someone riding a horse cause it was too easy or convenient.

I have a very hard time believing that if I told you Ive got a spot that no ones been in ten years, maybe longer, where gamer have never seen a human and I'm going in with the plane/helicopter, all you need to bring is you rifle and gear- You would say NO.

And I'm not talking about shooting,spotting, or harassing wildlife from the air. That is illegal and unethical.

I am just talking about access.

If you want to walk around everywhere and be limited by that than good for you. But I explore the untouched areas of wilderness that you will never see or access on foot.

I fly in a lot of helicopters for work and if they were legal to hunt with our game would dwindle to nothing in this province. The whole point of hunting is to hunt and put in the hard work. Any animal shot by a hunter being transported in one would not be a trophy in my book.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I think it's great they don't allow the use of Helicopters for hunting. In this day and age there is to much easy access to remote areas. Look at the number of "Hunters" who never get out of their truck, off their Quad, or out of their boat. Hunting is supposed to be about enjoying the outdoors and "Fair Chase" of game. There is nothing fair about using a motorized vehicle to out run game. In my experience, putting in the hard work and effort to get to remote places by foot, gives one an extra sense of accomplishment, whether or not they harvest an animal. If successful in your pursuit, the physical effort required to pack out also tests your endurance and commitment. I have talked with many hunters who have flown into a remote location, and seen the largest moose they have ever encountered, and passed on the opportunity, because they were physically not up to the task of packing it out. Therefore that mature animal remains as part of the future gene pool. Northern BC would not have any where near the appeal it does, if access was unlimited, as the game populations would get hammered. It seems to me that the hard work ethic of the past is being overtaken by the entitlement crowd. In my mind some things are still worth putting the effort into, and hunting is one of them. This is why mountain hunting for one is so cherished by some. The effort and commitment involved to harvest a good Sheep, Goat or Caribou is still worth the effort.

Packing a plane or helicopter is just like your backpack. There are weight restrictions and limits. Lots of things can kill you or cause a wreck. Simple things people don't understand that don't fly. Theres lots of planning and and serious things to take into account when flying into somewhere, especially if you have never been there before. Its not like jumping on your truck and road hunting. There is a ton of equally "hard" work and "effort" required.

As soon as my boots hit the ground after the flight in the hunting is as "fair chase" as anywhere else.

And those guys VLD talked to that seen the biggest moose of their life and didn't shoot it cause they couldn't pack it out, how is that relative to to wether they were on foot 1 mile from their truck or 1 mile from their plane.

Ever seen a moose in a 185? The quarters are all piled around you and you can use a pile to rest your right arm on. About the same in a R44. Not to mention if its a small lake your not getting out with a whole moose. Multiple trips.

You guys have your head in the sand and are missing out. Most of the time people complain about things they can't have or do. Give it a try or give it some research. Because in some situations its more of a hassle with an aircraft.

And remember Im just playing devils advocate- Im not saying I'm in favour for helicopter gunning or anything illegal

I agree totally with no helicopters. That said, recently watched some u-tube video of what must have been tricked out bush planes that could almost give a chopper a run for its money with what they needed to land....very impressive! Between the resources we now have available, the face of hunting is changing. With real time electronics, google earth with all its overlays, gps, and other equipment its getting harder for animals to hide. What was once a topographical map study and careful planning for a hike in, can be largely done on the internet, downloading the info required on various devices, loading up quads/gear and going. We have all probably checked out areas with google earth and have made plans based on what we learn. At one time that was a considerable effort. Satellite phones and other communication gear just about ensure we can always connect with the out side if required. Even without being able to be dropped off exactly where want, the various services and technology that exist can get us just about anywhere we want in the back country.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    have a very hard time believing that if I told you Ive got a spot that no ones been in ten years, maybe longer, where gamer have never seen a human and I'm going in with the plane/helicopter, all you need to bring is you rifle and gear- You would say NO.
    And you just answered your own question as to why they are such a "no-no"

Quote Originally Posted by finaddict View Post
    And you just answered your own question as to why they are such a "no-no"
    Ya but Im going and I bet 75% of hunters given the opportunity would be too.

Just like 416 says- I bet the same guys bashing me look at google earth and use GPS etc.

Aircraft are just a tool and I use them to my advantage.

the devil on my shoulder says helicopters, hell yeah...

but the sensible side of me says its simply too easy to get dropped off on top of a mountain and hike straight down with your goat...its too easy, remote becomes common place...theres enough common places in BC, even if Im not there all the time, I really appreciate the remote when I get there. I'd hate to lose that.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member