Thread: 4-38 Grizz Hunt

4-38 Grizz Hunt

was asked to go with a guy who drew this tag. Be both of our first time hunting Grizz. Im thinking we go as close to the end of the draw season as possible (June 15th) to allow the snow to bugger off. We will be basically cruising the roads and glassing the chutes. not looking for hot spots but asking for advice on hunting these bears. Looking forward to this hunt!

Cheers, Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 4-38 Grizz Hunt

I'll be there as well, but will be hunting it earlier than that. Will pass along what I learn on my trips!

Mid June will be in the rut....with all the snow we have here this year, I think if you can find green hillsides or patches....it will be money.

That's Goldstream.........the bears there tend to have a bit of an attitude so keep yer wits about you. They're highly predatory with the moose and caribou. So I would also think that a calf distress bawl would bring them in.

Think about it...Ruts on...and the calves are dropping
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 03-23-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks guys. yeah wont be a shortage of snow Im sure

Was in there last year June 1st-8th, wayyyyyy to late (for last year) there was virtually no snow, the chutes had 6' of Veg grown up on them and you couldnt see F** all.. Did manage to get a decent chocolate black bear around 6' and my partner took a black bear as well, saw plenty of them. Fun area to hunt, never saw a grizz when I was in there, nor any fresh sign. It was unreasonably hot though, high 30's with a couple days on the 40 degree mark.

My advice...pay attention

Most of the hotspots will be leafed out by May long.

Check google earth for south/west facing slides. Hike/quad/snowshoe in, sit and glass.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

it seems going later could very well work against us. Looks like earlier it is. thanks for the input fellows

Last year was an early spring and some of the hottest weather all summer, was in May. Not normally that way. Having said that the Boars will be out early in search of some grub prior to mating season. I seen a FB post today about a large boar bear in banff already out and about. The local Grizz at Kicking Horse is up an at em also... Compromise between easy access and nice weather. Best of luck to you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodd View Post
    Last year was an early spring and some of the hottest weather all summer, was in May. Not normally that way. Having said that the Boars will be out early in search of some grub prior to mating season. I seen a FB post today about a large boar bear in banff already out and about. The local Grizz at Kicking Horse is up an at em also... Compromise between easy access and nice weather. Best of luck to you guys!
    Agreed, spring last year was quite a phenomenon, our winter garlic was over knee high, this long winter should produce some hungry Boars out there. Good luck out there Rob, can't wait for the story!