Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinders

Re: Rangefinders

If you're in the market for a new ranger, check out the Sig Kilo 2000. A few years ago I would have said Leica, but I know guys switching from Leica's to Sigs.

Swarovski rangefinder is the best if your rangeing long range, I like mine VERY much.

I have never had much luck getting the lupy 1200 to read on game animals. Ended up with the 1200 leica and it works very well.

I have a Bushnell V2 golf rf, Leupold TBR1200, and Sig Kilo 2000 (the last two are quite new to me). I used the Leupold and Sig over 4 rounds of golf in four days down in Palm Springs a few weeks ago.

Sig is very clear. Leu slightly better at dusk (if I remember properly). Both suck at hitting flagsticks....glad no deer are that skinny....but I certainly wouldn't want to be trying to range an antler with them.

Will have to play some twilight rounds to decide which to keep. Or if I should just get a Leica.

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    I have never had much luck getting the lupy 1200 to read on game animals. Ended up with the 1200 leica and it works very well.
    Whaaaaat? My RX-1200i TBRw is amazing and I've ranged deer at 774 yards and a tree at 1004 yards.
    I do agree that leica is very nice, but I didn't care for the reticle, or the cost.

My vote is leupold. Mines been awesome, its quick, its lightweight and compact and it has no issue reaching out.
    If vortex didn't have their "unbeatable warranty" (so they say) they wouldn't have anything.
    while their rangfinders are not as popular, they have enough issues with their scopes. So count me out of a Ranger 1000...
    Originally posted by MEATEATER
    If anyone says blacktails there lying no one can figure them out
    Hunt Hard, Hunt safe, Eat Well.

I have the most rotten luck with LRF's. Have owned Bushnell, Leupold, Leica and Vortex. I have gone back to my 6 year old Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC that always gives a reading. Problem is, it's bulky...I would consider a Sig Kilo, looks good for LR shooting.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I've played with the Sig 2000 next to my Leica 1600b, and the Leica was a bit quicker and definitely ranged farther. That said, I've read about several guys returning Sig's until they got a good one, and those one pretty much blow anything else out of the water for distance and speed. Its just a case of finding one that is running like it's supposed to. However, the price point is pretty impressive on the Sig....

The one I tried, I couldn't get more than 1500 yards out of it, when I was getting 1650+ from the Leica 1600 on trees. My Leica 1200 has given several readings out to 1344, but that is definitely condition dependent.

And the one important thing to remember, how still you can hold the rf makes a big difference on how far out it will reach. If you can hit 1000+ freehand, that is a fast unit. Braced against a tripod or tree will extend your range of any rf.

I just picked up a used Leica 1600 from Brett, hopefully works better than a pair of 1200's I owned 8-10 years ago
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

My 1200 hasn't missed a beat ever, but a buddy bought one at the same time and it went back twice till he got one that would work past 600 yards. Electronic stuff is always a gamble in my mind.

my bushnell is still going strong after being heavily used for years
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”