Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: British Columbia to increase investment in wildlife management

Re: British Columbia to increase investment in wildlife management

After all the comments since my address of the post I feel glad to see many positive views come forward ...Change comes from an initial agreement ..then written up and then into law ..It never happens bang...The Freshwater fisheries society was the baby step and now hopefully the wildlife part ..When you remove govt from control of something they give it up begrudingly...As for funding it after getting all the license fees to administer it the govt should and could be lobbied to hand over some sales taxes from the sale of hunting and fishing gear...Maybe not all but a percentage..835 the changes Ive seen in the freshwater fishery has been nothing but fantastic..Most lakes in the interior are stocked with triploid fish now ..They do not become spawn bound and are great table fish..They fight like hell and they live a longer life...Federal fisheries in Canada are in dire straits ...That's the problem with central Canada running ocean fisheries..Our wildlife management in Canada has been run by politicians for too long ..This change if...and I say if...implemented will again manage wildlife properly because it will remove "Politics " from the equation ...

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    After all the comments since my address of the post I feel glad to see many positive views come forward ...Change comes from an initial agreement ..then written up and then into law ..It never happens bang...The Freshwater fisheries society was the baby step and now hopefully the wildlife part ..When you remove govt from control of something they give it up begrudingly...As for funding it after getting all the license fees to administer it the govt should and could be lobbied to hand over some sales taxes from the sale of hunting and fishing gear...Maybe not all but a percentage..835 the changes Ive seen in the freshwater fishery has been nothing but fantastic..Most lakes in the interior are stocked with triploid fish now ..They do not become spawn bound and are great table fish..They fight like hell and they live a longer life...Federal fisheries in Canada are in dire straits ...That's the problem with central Canada running ocean fisheries..Our wildlife management in Canada has been run by politicians for too long ..This change if...and I say if...implemented will again manage wildlife properly because it will remove "Politics " from the equation ...
    Any business or industry that sells a product for the intended use in the outdoors or, generates revenue operating on crown land....there should be a fee (tax)
    That should be step 2.

The more money the funding model can generate from various streams the more wildlife and habitat will benefit.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Just curious about the money numbers. News reports indicate the government currently spends 18 million a year on wildlife management. Reports also indicate that hunting license revenue generates between 9 and 10 million.

Will the government continue spending 18 million in addition to the license revenue? Media reports and Government new releases don't make it clear. If not, that leaves a net loss of about 8 million for wildlife management.

Maybe I'm being sceptical, but I have come to realize that Government announcements never say what they mean...

So I'm just asking...

I'm hopeful the new system works! The old one is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
    Just curious about the money numbers. News reports indicate the government currently spends 18 million a year on wildlife management. Reports also indicate that hunting license revenue generates between 9 and 10 million.

Will the government continue spending 18 million in addition to the license revenue? Media reports and Government new releases don't make it clear. If not, that leaves a net loss of about 8 million for wildlife management.

Maybe I'm being sceptical, but I have come to realize that Government announcements never say what they mean...

So I'm just asking...

I'm hopeful the new system works! The old one is broken.
    Hunting license revenue (incl LEH) was about $14.7M in 2015, $2.7M of which would have gone to HCTF.

The $18M number includes species at risk like caribou ($8m), a bunch of research, and non-hunted species etc.

Most of those dollars are not for hunted species/populations. Currently government probably spends closer to $3-4M of that $18M on 'huntable' species/populations.

Gov will continue spending most of those dollars.

The new 'system' has not been built.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela