British Columbia to increase investment in wildlife management

British Columbia to increase investment in wildlife management

News Release

Kelowna
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:20 AM

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations 250 356-5261

Update from Minister Thomson

Government of British Columbia

Greater investment in BC's fish, wildlife and habitat. All hunting licence revenue will be reinvested to enhance wildlife management activities. BC Wildlife Federation (facebook.com) , Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia (facebook.com) , BC Trappers Association

As part of the Province’s long-standing commitment to healthy wildlife populations, Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Minister Steve Thomson announced today that all hunting licence revenue will be re-invested to enhance wildlife management activities.

Based on input from stakeholders over the last few years, the government will form a new agency in fall 2017 with startup funds of $5 million. The agency subsequently would be supported by hunting licence revenues of $9 million to $10 million each year.

Currently, hunting licence revenues support a number of government activities. Hunting licence surcharges totalling more than $2.6 million annually would still be dedicated to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation for its conservation projects.

To determine the governance model and investment priorities for the new agency, government has budgeted $200,000 to support a process to engage with key wildlife stakeholder groups, First Nations and the public later this spring.

The shift toward a stand-alone agency builds on previous accomplishments in enhancing wildlife management, including: finalizing the wildlife allocation policy; implementing a moose enhancement strategy; bringing in an e-licensing system; and increasing First Nations’ participation in wildlife management. The collaborative process used to produce the 2016 moose enhancement strategy also identified how B.C.’s wildlife management framework could be modernized.

Wildlife populations are managed on the principle of “conservation first.” Currently, the ministry spends over $18 million per year on wildlife management activities.

Quotes:

Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Minister Steve Thomson –

“While B.C. has a robust model of wildlife management, we recognize the need to enhance our core activities. This management framework and additional funding will do that.”

Jim Glaicar, president, B.C. Wildlife Federation –

“The B.C. Wildlife Federation commends the Province for its commitment to dedicate hunting licence revenues to a stand-alone agency to enhance wildlife management. The BCWF, on behalf of our 50,000 members, is pleased to have our call for greater investment in fish, wildlife and habitat realized through this investment.”

Scott Ellis, executive director, Guide Outfitters Association of B.C. –

“The Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia is excited about the government’s commitment to increase funding for wildlife. We support initiatives to enhance and grow healthy wildlife populations in British Columbia.”

Erick Mikkelson, vice-president, Wildlife Stewardship Council –

“The Wildlife Stewardship Council is in support of any initiative that enhances wildlife in B.C. We look forward to more discussions and providing input on how the agency will work later this spring.”

Brian Dack, president, B.C. Trappers Association –

“We’re supportive of any initiatives that will help to grow wildlife populations.”

Quick Facts:

B.C. is home to more than 1,138 species of vertebrates, including 488 bird species, 142 mammal species, 18 reptile species, 22 amphibian species, 83 freshwater fish species and 368 saltwater fish species.
    There are over 100,000 registered hunters in the province. It is estimated that hunting activities (including those of resident hunters and guide outfitters) contribute $350 million each year to B.C.’s economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

2. Site Sponsor

Re: British Columbia to increase investment in wildlife management

Forgive my scepticism, but, this is just more election bullshit from one of the WORST landraping administrations since James Douglas, was Premier. Social Credit, now the BC Liberals, has always been a gang of lowlife exploiters and wreckers of the BC biosphere and will not change if re-elected.

As to the aboriginal minority involvement, what a sad farce, and we all know why!

is this like they said they would put all the fresh water licence money to fresh water enhancement? They still don't clip the fins of fish released into The Cowichan....
    I have not seen a change in that. We talked to a couple guys who were going in on the weekend to feed the fish... the govt wouldn't feed them on the weekend... the guys didn't want the fish to die.....

Not to say this couldn't be good news... but... I am sceptical it will work like it should.

Any one care to bet, once Christy's re-elected this doesn't happen?
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

It should be noted that all parties are on board with this regardless of who gets elected in May.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

I'll be the optimist and hope to see these changes happen. The revenues generated from all outdoor sports related activities is substantial and shouldn't go unnoticed. Hopefully this isn't just an election boast, but a defined line to rehabilitating our hunting and fishing opportunities. With funding and proper management, it is achievable; we just need all parties invested. Now, just maybe, we can get more people involved to make our voices heard. My two cents.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

isn't this what we all have been asking for, for a long time....fingers crossed it happens and the money all goes to conservation efforts

Here ....Here..Good to hear ...Our Freshwater fishery has done nothing but improve to a first rate fishery since the change over...I only hope our wildlife gets the needed boost it needs ...If this is implemented and I see no reason it won't be then we can begin a process to find ways to fund wildlife more like the US states do ..Change has to start somewhere and this is the first baby step..WE need to encourage and support this ....not speak negatively about it ..Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Here ....Here..Good to hear ...Our Freshwater fishery has done nothing but improve to a first rate fishery since the change over...I only hope our wildlife gets the needed boost it needs ...If this is implemented and I see no reason it won't be then we can begin a process to find ways to fund wildlife more like the US states do ..Change has to start somewhere and this is the first baby step..WE need to encourage and support this ....not speak negatively about it ..Dennis
    Correct. We've been calling for this for years, now we finally get it and the poopy-pants crew bitches about it.

Perhaps some people are upset they have one less thing to cry about?

I'm looking forward to the opportunities that are going to come from this funding for our wildlife resources. Can't wait to roll up the sleeves and get out there with some habitat restoration projects as soon as possible!
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Correct. We've been calling for this for years, now we finally get it and the poopy-pants crew bitches about it.

Perhaps some people are upset they have one less thing to cry about?

I'm looking forward to the opportunities that are going to come from this funding for our wildlife resources. Can't wait to roll up the sleeves and get out there with some habitat restoration projects as soon as possible!
    I will believe it when I see it, we know we can't believe shit the Libs try and sell us. Yes its all good news but some of us have good memories and are skeptical to say the least.