Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Safari

African Safari

hey so i won a hunting trip to africa not to long ago and i was wondering if anyone has ever gone. I was wondering if anyone could share how much of a hassle bringing your own rifle and stuff like that and is it worth it

2. Site Sponsor

Re: African Safari

Wow! Congrats on the win, sounds like a blast. Wish I could help with your question but I'm a few years away from that kind of a trip. Good luck on your hunt.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

I have been there on Safari, but not a hunting trip. I do remember being told to deal with your travel visa from here at home before we left. We landed in Nairobi and from what we saw at the airport it would have been easier and cheaper to just do it there. [ here in Canada we had to send the papers to Ottawa to the Kenya consulate which took a while ]

what an awesome win. I hope it goes great for you.

I believe yappydoodledog has made the trip, drop him a PM, good luck with your hunt!
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

I hunted South Africa 5 times some truly amazing memories! Rifle import is easy at the SA end the challenge is the airline extra bag fees and it might restrict transits / stopovers on the way. Also don't underestimate the trophy import costs on the way back so be careful what animals you hunt when you get there.

Pm me if you want some specifics.

2014 Namibia, self guided, self driven safari. My friend and his wife went the year before, she did the tour, he did the hunt. She had the better time. Flying into Jo'Burg is as dangerous to luggage as Rome.

Have your paperwork filled out before you go. Cause when you get into SA at the airport you have to go to the customs and claim them, they then open up the gun case check the serial and your papers. Their will probably be 10 to 50 other hunters their doing the same. Lots of SA cops around too, standing doing nothing. But I seen guys filling out their paperwork in the little office and the cops didn't speak much english, looked like a big hassle none looked happy. I got in the line gave them the paperwork they stamped it and I was gone, but it still took an hour. If you are then taking a jumper flight, every airport will want to see those stamped papers and your guns again.

Make sure you fly out of Canada straight to SA or the US. You will need NIA form for US. Some Euro countries won't let guns in so bad idea to fly to Europe first then SA.

Once in africa watch your guns in the airport, sometimes security takes them off the plane to their office other times they come out on the baggage. Only deal with security or airline personel. Lots of scammers in the airports. If you go into Johannesburg their is a company that will meat you at the airport and take you to their hotel for the night, its gated (twice), they then take you back to the airport for any connections the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I have been there on Safari, but not a hunting trip. I do remember being told to deal with your travel visa from here at home before we left. We landed in Nairobi and from what we saw at the airport it would have been easier and cheaper to just do it there. [ here in Canada we had to send the papers to Ottawa to the Kenya consulate which took a while ]
    No you were in africa on a photo trip. Traditionally (Long before photo trips) a safari was what a hunting trip was called.
    Last edited by 1/2 slam; 03-21-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009