Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild boar hunting near Dawson Creek/Fort st John

Wild boar hunting near Dawson Creek/Fort st John

Years ago when I lived in Chetwynd, guys told me about bow hunting wild pigs near Dawson Creek and Fort St John. Is this still happening? I'm going to be heading to FSJ in May and wondered if I should bring my bow? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wild boar hunting near Dawson Creek/Fort st John

I have heard rumors of some escapees that have established east of fsi, but I have never known anybody that has actually got one usually a friend of a friend tale.. the area is out towards goodlow near the alberta border

Same guys that hunt Nauga's.

I recall doing a big job around a hog farm outside of Dawson Creek, I could guess the odd domestic one gets away. There's lots of farm animals all over the place in the area. But no it's not a viable hunt. Even if a domestic one got away it's a pretty good chance it's still on private land.

I've heard rumours that a farmer let his pigs out in Cecile Lake area and they are running free, the 6yrs of living here working around the area I've never seen any or heard of anyone shooting any. The Bears, wolves, coyotes and cougars probz have cleaned them up if the was hahaha, Better chances on taking A nice spring black bear while your in 7b!!

I heard years ago a bunch got out and they went feral and the population grew, causing problems to farmers.

And the farmers took care of the problem
    but its getting out of hand in n/w Alberta, not far

https://www.facebook.com/WildHogWatch/?fref=nf
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Was hunting on a farmers land near the Beaton River about 10 years ago and saw one.Didnt know at the time if we could shoot it or not.The farmer said if it was a sow it would have been good to eat a boar not so.The farmer had not saw one before and we never saw it again.

I haven't seen any around for a number of years... most recently near Doe River ~ 3 years ago when I saw one in a field

probably not worth the effort

Lived in chetwynd a few years ago. I saw a wild pig out by hasler one year. My buddy on the railroad saw a huge boar between chetwynd and Dawson that same year. Tough to try and hunt but I've heard of places closer to Dawson where they r thicker and more of a nuisance to farmers. Hunting permission is likely not hard to get if u can find them.

Hey Mick, have actually never seen any around Dodge City, maybe one rumour floating around a few years ago. 27 years hunting hard, know a few people.......but never any wild pigs!
    Spose the abundance of wolves may get them!! They're doing a good job with the moose!!
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC