Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh calls to ban B.C.'s grizzly hunt are no laughing matter

Re: Fresh calls to ban B.C.'s grizzly hunt are no laughing matter

While I can see the sentiment towards compromising to appease the antis, I think it's a very slippery slope. We already know what their end game is, the meat requirement is just another brick in the wall of moratorium.

Next, we'll be packing wolf and coyote meat out of the bush, as bear hunting will be a distant memory.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    While I can see the sentiment towards compromising to appease the antis, I think it's a very slippery slope. We already know what their end game is, the meat requirement is just another brick in the wall of moratorium.

Next, we'll be packing wolf and coyote meat out of the bush, as bear hunting will be a distant memory.
    Also a very valid point to consider. I would be curious to see the GOABC's official position or what they think the best course of action is from their standpoint

Quote Originally Posted by weatherbyjunkie View Post
    Also a very valid point to consider. I would be curious to see the GOABC's official position or what they think the best course of action is from their standpoint
    GOABC has supported grizzly bear meat retention for a few years.

GOABC has also been very clear that the problems with grizzly bear hunting on the central coast are with resident hunters and viewing, not GOABC members. Not their problem.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Considering the state of our habitat and wildlife in BC, I find the train of comments concerning. Surely, I don't wish to see the loss of any hunt, but the grand scope says we have far greater problems then losing the grizzly hunt. At least there's a sustainable population that enables it..... Funny thing is, we are losing the coastal hunt regardless of who wins the election. It's just a matter of time.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Considering the state of our habitat and wildlife in BC, I find the train of comments concerning. Surely, I don't wish to see the loss of any hunt, but the grand scope says we have far greater problems then losing the grizzly hunt. At least there's a sustainable population that enables it..... Funny thing is, we are losing the coastal hunt regardless of who wins the election. It's just a matter of time.
    Very true.

IMO, it is also a grim irony, that while many of our province's ungulate populations are in dire straights, there is a strong focus from certain groups to curb predator harvest.

I can here Cinderella playing in the background, "Don't know whatcha got, till its gone"

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Very true.

IMO, it is also a grim irony, that while many of our province's ungulate populations are in dire straights, there is a strong focus from certain groups to curb predator harvest.

I can here Cinderella playing in the background, "Don't know whatcha got, till its gone"
    Curbing predator harvest is and has been the focus of most anti hunting groups for a long time now. Their intention is to deplete ungulate populations to the point of a sustainable hunt no longer being viable.

Hey everyone good read get on board or you will lose another hunt next year and it will continue even more if you want a future for your children and yourself write you MLA and start gripping join a club and power to change things are in numbers lets not come to the point of I could of and did nothing it s ours to lose voice your opinions and vote wisely
    all the best JOIN YOUR BRITSH COLUMBIA WILDLIFE FEDERATION TODAY
    bigben

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I would agree the need for change in regards to BCs habitat and wildlife is huge but I will not put loosing the grizz hunt any lower instead it is just another issue hunters face.

Personally I do not believe anyone hunt/game species should be ignored over another. To some hunters the grizz hunt is very important to others not so much. For this reason I do not believe the grizz hunt should just be let go to focuse on other issues as it is important to a portion of the hunting community

Would you feel the same if it was moose hunting on the line?

Great article and highlights a lot of my thoughts exactly. Slippery slope in terms of the way NDP is approaching this election and so far everything they have said has confirmed my choice not to vote for them.

The grizz hunt is merely one small issue why I would never vote for them, but it's a glaring statement about where they stand in terms of hunters.

I and others have said it before on HBC.First its the grizzly hunt,then what,the iconic mountain sheep being slaughtered by trophy hunters etc etc. It is anti hunting,not anti grizzly hunting.Get ready for it ,there are enough young voters that have no clue as to what the NDP did to this province the last time they held power.