Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floorless shelters and ti wood stoves..

Floorless shelters and ti wood stoves..

How many guys like floorless shelters and Ti wood stoves for back pack hunts? Relatively light weight, huge on room and warmth! I don't think they'd work out very well on a august 1st sheep hunt due to bugs, unless you had an inner nest to escape the bugs at least. Lets see some pictures of your setups. We don't don't need any pictures of wall tents surrounded by quads either, we've all seen those

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Floorless shelters and ti wood stoves..

Although I have no personal experience with a backpack shelter/stove, I have considered them. Ultimately you are looking at doubling or tripling your shelter weight. I find a good backpacking tent and a warm sleeping bag more than adequate for September backpack hunts.

The one advantage you get is an opportunity to dry out wet gear.

Lots of extra time spent gathering wood instead of hunting, plus you then have to make sure you set camp somewhere with a ready supply of wood. Not always the best on a mountain hunt.

There are positive and negative aspects of floorless shelters, my first was am original Chouinard Pyramid, bought in spring, 1987, and used for many years on a variety of hunts, backpacks after Cali. BH rams in the Shulaps, home in the Kootenays and in the Cariboo.

I sometimes used it as a "gear shed" when using my old North Face Windwhatever VE dome, bought about the same time as my base camp rig and this worked OK, but, better options now exist.

Positives-larger area inside, nice when out for longer periods. Light, sll aspects considered, more headroom and many models can be heated with different types of stoves. Quite weatherproof once set up correctly.

Alternatives- HD expedition mountain tents, Hilleberg and the original Integral Designs plus the original GT models from Early Winters, Bibler and Marmot Mountain Works.

These are FAR easier to find SPACE for in rugged and/or forested country, with rocky, uneven and rooty ground. They can be a bit easier to erect, much more capable in really bad weather and can be kept surprisingly warm with a couple of candle lanterns.

Weight, is a wash as they can both be found in very light models to larger, heavier types.

I have had the Chouinard, three Kifaru models and several mountain tents. I currently use a Hilleberg Saivo as my main tent, and bivys with siltarps where/whenever I can.

I'm "looking" at a Seek Outside Couthouse-XXL-Ti bundle, they just came out with a liner for it, total weight, with the extra floor tarps I'm would use is about 15 lbs. I would like a SO Cimarron to go with this, screens, but, no stove, however, there is this little issue called MONEY......

All in all, I think most sheep and goat hunters are better served with Hillebergs or another highend mountain tent(s). YMMV, of course.

Floorless tents are fun untill you weather out a few days of rain.

Would love to pack a woodstove, but not much wood where i go.

Most of those tipi tents and wood stoves seem to be marketed toward the elk/lower 48 boys.

Ive never seen those ti stoves, they look AWESOME! Hmmmm wonder if i could get the wife to agree......
    ~Wes

I have a Kifaru 8 man tipi with a large stove. All together my set up weighs about 15 pounds, so I don't backpack with it, but use it with horses, boats or atvs. It's a great shelter, and having the ability to dry things out is a game changer
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I have a Seek Outside teepee tent and stove. I'm so happy with it that I sold my camper! I have an inner nest to fight the bugs and it works well. I usually burn a bit of a mosquito coil when I settle in for the night and that takes care of the bug issue...usually well enough that I don't use the nest. I use house wrap as a ground sheet (light, cheap and tough) and a re-usable grocery bag as a "wood box" for the stove (it uses small wood).

The stove is not a true airtight and will not burn through the night but...it heats things up so quickly that we just let it burn for ten minutes in the morning and the tent is warm. The wood must be cut small to fit in the stove. As such, you don't use much wood...far, far less that you would if you had a campfire!

Like anything in life, there is a compromise. But overall, the Teepee tent and stove work well!

I think I might give a mountainsmith a try, sew a stove jack into it and see how it does. Really interested in a SO tipi, but its a little pricey for me.

I used one this year really nice for late season hunting when it gets dark early and you have a few hours before lights out.

http://
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Exactly, my last of 3 Kifarus was the 8 man and I sold it for certain reasons. I have spent a lot of time researching the different shelters of this general type offered on the market and almost bought a really neat one from WA. state last fall.

However, given the dollar and costs of these, I decided to hold off and feel that the SO Courthouse would be "best" due to inner room and smaller footprint for space available. Tipis, really were/are a shelter developed in dryer, less vegetated and flatter areas.

It is finding an area for the footprint that bugs me.