Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Turkey

Re: Spring Turkey

My experience here in the Creston valley is that permission to hunt on private land is difficult to come by. If you were born here you'll likely have some connections otherwise you'll be knocking on quite a few doors before you get a yes. The local CO gives a yearly briefing to the Rod and Gun Club and with all the trespassing that's been going on, many of the larger farmers have had it with "hunters"(poachers). West Creston was specifically mentioned a couple of years ago. A large number of smaller holdings are owned by early retirees from larger cities and won't allow hunting. I have permission on a couple of parcels but to tell you the truth I prefer crown land, there are fewer birds and they are a lot harder to hunt but you won't see houses, hear cars, or have to worry about where the horses have got to. I'm not saying there aren't turkeys here to hunt but if you're betting on coming and hunting private land you really should have it all lined up by now, like it was mentioned before a lot of people on the smaller parcels actually feed these turkeys and protect them. They do not want them shot.

x2 on what jtred said. Permission can be tough to get around there. Spring turkey hunting is some of the funnest around and is a great way to tie things over until elk season. That being said, they are pretty easy to hunt and there are good populations stretching from Beaverdell East. For the lower mainland guys thinking of heading out that way, I'd save the gas. For the guys in both the EK and WK, most can already hunt them 15 minutes from their door.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

x3 that was my experience in Creston too. Even if you can get permission can be tough to get the minimum 100 metres from any occupied dwelling and be legal.
    Twist and pull.

I meant to add.
    I suggest anyone heading out read page 13 of the regs carefully. I would hate to see any well meaning hunters in hot water because a neighbor phoned in a complaint about hunting close to homes.
    Not saying I agree with the rule just pointing it out.
    Twist and pull.

Morning , from the sounds of things this is a population that will only continue to grow without any tangible solutions .
    venture forth , and find more fun !

Not much hunting news coming from this thread.........??

in the news
    He says the number of wild turkeys in the Kootenay region has climbed in the last five years, possibly because they are being fed.

The ministry says the turkeys have produced more noise complaints, property damage and conflicts as the large, flightless and sometimes aggressive birds become habituated to people.
    http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...utheastern-b-c
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Has anybody hunted a turkey there?