Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shot Gun Wall Lock-- Legal in BC???

Re: Shot Gun Wall Lock-- Legal in BC???

You guys going to think " chapter verse" when some bad guy is in your house? Lol
    analizing the legality of your situation? Im pretty sure it will be pretty obvious what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    If you kill someone, you will be going through the court system regardless of weapon used.
    yep

]

Depends on who you are and the situation.

If you are a big guy (like me) and I shoot a skinny, unarmed 150 lb punk, then yeah, I'm probably going to have an issue.

A granny in a wheelchair that is confronted with the same person might be 100% justified in shooting him.

Now, how about if it's 3 150lb punks and they are acting aggressively and I feel the lives of myself, my wife and kids are in danger?

Nothing is really cut and dry

If you are going to use a weapon on someone, it's because you feel you have no other option to STOP the threat. (Remember, if you have to hurt someone in defense, you aren't "trying to kill them" etc- You are trying to STOP the threat. If the threat is bad enough that you need a firearm to resolve the issue, you don't aim for the leg, you shoot for center mass. Leg shooting may indicate you didn't think the threat was big enough to warrant using lethal force, and a firearm should be considered lethal force.
    i remember a big case where a young guy shot a "gangster" several times in the back while he was walking away because he feared for his life and won on self defense. Kid ended up getting killed anyhow.

harming someone should always be a last resort, but guns in the hands of those willing to use them tend to de-escalate things in a hurry. There are numerous surveillance videos (mostly from the USA) that show intruders tripping over themselves as they try to get away when someone starts shooting at them. Most often, nobody even gets hit, but those criminals are RUNNING!
    probably would still result in charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Have a clean machette handy to put in the dead intruders hand. Problem solved.

I keep 2 on hand
    good thing to post on here

Quote Originally Posted by bc_buckshot View Post
    totally incorrect but good try. Sorry
    which part?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    You guys going to think " chapter verse" when some bad guy is in your house? Lol
    analizing the legality of your situation? Im pretty sure it will be pretty obvious what to do.
    whatever you "need" to (need being the operative term), but know that you'll very likely still end up in court at a minimum

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Best practices under Canadian Law. Your first priority when confronting an intruder with your shotgun, is to establish if they are armed and if so with what kind of weapon. This way you can respond in kind. For example if you establish that they have a machete then you need to go lock up your shotgun (ammo stored separately) and get either a machete or hatchet or equal length. It is a good idea to bring a measuring tape so you can get an accurate length measurement off of the machete. You wouldn't want to have to go to before a jury having to justify why you defended yourself with a 32" machete whereas your attacker only had a 24" blade. Same principle would apply if you happened to grab an axe rather than a hatchet. Perhaps a reasonable jury would listen to a defense if you could not find your hatchet, but you should have exhausted all reasonable attempts to find it before engaging with the attacker. Of course this is all void if you can establish if your attacker held a black belt in any recognized martial arts. Then it would be reasonable that you could defend yourself using any means necessary as he or she will likely over come any physical defense you can muster. So I would keep and extra black belt handy if you are in the habit of defending yourself with firearms. Then you can say to the officers that you saw the black belt and feared for your life.
    Priceless hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Or a replica pellet/BB gun... Can't tell the difference in a dark house...
    have those too!

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure I'd protect myself and my kids before thinking about crown prosecutors if a real situation actually came along.

It's all about intent.
    Pretty easy to show harmful intent of a home invasion over self defence intent of a home owner with a family.

Best form of self defence is the sound of an 870's action sliding closed.

I have been told if it gets to the point where you had to discharge your firearm into an intruder , fire a round into the ceiling within 10 seconds right after the first shot. You will need to tell the judge that the first shot was fired into the ceiling as a warning shot and the intruder kept coming forward and the second shot was into the intruder. Your neighbors will hear the shots and confirm the shots were less than 10 seconds apart. Depending on if the intruder survives, it will be his word against yours. A jury will believe you.

Ag silver. Bottom line is the last thing i want to do is kill someone. Well the last thing is have someone in my family hurt.

That is why i find these threads funny. Really it would take a seriously bad guy to decide to go further when he has a family cornered and a dad with a gun. He can take all my stuff and i wont kill him. He can have the keys to my truck. But he can not hurt my wife and kid. I bet 99% of criminals will take the truck over death.

A few years ago there was in incident where a bad guy was extorting money from another person and the bad guy tried to break into the persons house. The bad guy was shot dead and there was an investigation resulting in no charges being laid.
    A criminal lawyer was in a group having this discussion and he commented that if you feel threatened enough to resort to using a firearm then have a situation resulting in only one side of the altercation being presented.
    Last edited by Walksalot; 03-16-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwayne26 View Post
    I have been told if it gets to the point where you had to discharge your firearm into an intruder , fire a round into the ceiling within 10 seconds right after the first shot. You will need to tell the judge that the first shot was fired into the ceiling as a warning shot and the intruder kept coming forward and the second shot was into the intruder. Your neighbors will hear the shots and confirm the shots were less than 10 seconds apart. Depending on if the intruder survives, it will be his word against yours. A jury will believe you.
    Another idea maybe to actually shoot into the ceiling first...odds are the bad guy (or girl cuz...y'know...feminism and all) will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Ag silver. Bottom line is the last thing i want to do is kill someone. Well the last thing is have someone in my family hurt.

That is why i find these threads funny. Really it would take a seriously bad guy to decide to go further when he has a family cornered and a dad with a gun. He can take all my stuff and i wont kill him. He can have the keys to my truck. But he can not hurt my wife and kid. I bet 99% of criminals will take the truck over death.
    Of course, but then no one can talk big on the internet about how they'll shoot people My point was just that self-defence is a primarily a defence when you're charged...rarely is it used to avoid actually laying charges in a homicide.

Similar price but no battery required.

Shotlock Shotgun 200 M https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002OCYG84/..._s4TYybJTQY1J6